1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CANTING buttplate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Help folks. I have a Graco adjustable buttplate on both of my guns and I am trying to adjust them to fit just perfectly into that pocket between my deltoid and pectoral muscles. Any advice as to how to do this quickly and accurately? Thanks, Jack

2. Martinpicker

Thanks Joe. I have tried to do just that but I am not sure that I have it right when I finish. I guess I am looking for a foolproof way to convince myself that I have it absolutely correct for me so I don't have to re-adjust it later. Thanks, Jack

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Go to the patterning board and check out various settings while validating poi.

You will know how well it feels and at saame time see how well you point it.

I make no changes to the gun without poi feedback. I know that changing the pad shouldn't impact poi but strange things happen.

Regards

W&W

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Shoot one or two traps' of practice in a t-shirt with your pad adapter wrench in your pocket. You'll find an angle and height that feels most comfortable. Then, after shooting several hundred targets without making an adjustment, scripe a line around the plate to which the pad is attached so you can always put it back in the right place if it has to be removed for any reason.

Ed

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

As strange as it sounds I had the butt pad canted and down a ways on my Browning but when I got the CG I found that having the pad straight and not so far down worked the best. Good advice from Ed about scribing a line to return the pad back to its sweet spot.

So I guess what I'm saying is find your own sweet spot and let the others be jealous of your good shooting abilities.

Bill

6. Martinpicker

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

My procedure is as follows:
    Place a small level on the rib at the breech end of the barrel(orient the level so that it is perpendicular to the rib). If the level does not have a magnet on the bottom you will need to use masking tape to hold it in place. Now mount your gun and center the bubble--the gun is square and plumb with no barrel cant.
    Next, look through the level and see if the beads are aligned; if not adjust the butt plate and comb until they are. When you have it adjusted the gun now points where you are looking without barrel cant. This is much more important on O/U barrels to prevent the bottom barrel from shooting askew.
    Adjust the rest of the gun--drop, cast and cant until it is comfortable then check the gun with the level again and tweek. The process is tedious but produces a gun that is square, perpendicular and shoots where you are looking.
    Final step is to take the gun to the the pattern board and set the POI with the comb height.
    Hope this helps.

Doc

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Start by looking in the mirror and seeing where the natural crease in your shoulder pocket is when you raise your arm to the shooting position.

This should get you almost where you need to be, and fine tune it from there. Close your eyes and mount the gun, then check the alignment.

HM

9. Martinpicker

Thanks guys. Jack

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just adjust it so it feels good. Kind'a like mounting a scope on a rifle so the crosshairs are straight..........you just tweek it 'til you KNOW it's still wrong but you can't decide WHICH WAY it's wrong and then you screw it down and forget about it.

John C. Saubak

11. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

Ray Collins
    I think the level is a great idea! I see others cant their gun but they can't see it when they are shooting. This will help. Don't know why I didn't think of it.
    Ken

12. Ray Collins

Thanks, I hope it helps.

Doc

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have found that having a pad adjuster isn't needed for me anymore since I discovered how a stock with the proper amount of pitch fits.

ss

14. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Adjusting the angle of your buttpad will have very little impact on canting the gun. At first glance it seems that simply rotating the butt pad until the canting goes away is "common sense". It doesn't work that way.

Canting is a product of many factors, including head and eye position as well as arm position, gun grip, and body build.

Then again, canting is not really a factor with a shotgun. Here we go...

bluedsteel

15. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I did a rough adjustment by pointing the gun into a mirror. Then when to the pattern board and made a few small adjustments. I was amazed looking at the mirror how much I was canting the gun.

16. Ray Collins

Unsingle,
    I had the same experience when I mounted my single barrel gun in front of the mirror. I couldn't believe it was canted. In addition when I checked using the O/U barrel, the bottom barrel was, as expected, canted to the extreme. It was so askew I knew I had to find a solution; using the level proved to be the answer.
    Now those mystery misses on the first shot of doubles have all but disappeared--especially the first shot on station three.

Doc

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Canting has very little affect on the POI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.