1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting a gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Had mechanical problems with my primary gun at my last shoot. Just happened to have a brand new gun & started shooting it right out of the box. The rib on my primary gun is 7/8" high in the rear. The rib on my new gun is 11/4" high in the rear. Both guns are top singles. It appears I've started canting the gun. What type of comb adjustment is needed, the only birds that were giving me trouble are left hand birds from station 1, I'm right handed. Shot a 94 right out of the box & have not made any adjustments at all.

Phil Berkowitz

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need an adjustable butt pad. Rib height shouldn't make you cant unless you're having to scrunch the gun down into your shoulder pocket to get the rib/bead(s) to look right. Get one off of Steve Jones at Recoiless Engineering, it has steel inserts for the threads.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rib height should not cause a cant but a high rib will make it much easier to see a slight cant. Rotating the butt pad should eliminate the cant. Pushing your gun into your cheek by rotating your right wrist can result in both a gun cant and keeping your head on the stock.

Phil- Experiment with your butt pad and figure out how to eliminate your gun cant. Then explain what you did to Leo H. He has had a terrible cant for many years.

Pat Ireland

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Phil,

As Pat replied, rotating the pad should eliminate the cant. Just be sure it doesn't need to be rotated because the pitch on the stock is wrong making the bottom toe of the pad protrude too far. Rotation puts the toe in your armpit.

(Pat, notice how I avoided describing the toe sticking out too far as 'too little' pitch? A Congressional ruling on pitch description is needed.)

Rollin

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Canting the gun is a good thing. It places the rib and the sights in allignment with your shooting eye. This allows you to keep your head straight up and not tilted. HMB

6. Rollin Oswald

HMB - ... and changes the POI of a high-shooting gun.

Rollin

7. Rollin Oswald

Impossible question to answer - it would depend on the amount of cant, how high the gun shoots and in some cases, the swing speed.

Rollin

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I will tell you this in my experience chasing a cant, in the end I should have just ignored it and kept shooting that gun the way it was. It was a long road to get back to where I started. I don't know why. You shot the gun good right off the bat I would stick with it. I doubt the canting is the cause of your miss, maybe you are doing something else? Have someone watch you shoot, someone who knows something that is.

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Listen to the Silverbulletexpress Phil. John

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is easy to prove this. Use a rest, set the gun up with zero cant and shoot at paper at 40 yards.

Have someone measure your "normal" cant. At the rest, set the gun up with the identical cant and shoot it at another piece of paper.

Measure the difference.

Don Verna

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not enough difference to measure. HMB

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

One of the best shooters I know cants his gun. He'd be a fool to change what works so well for him. By the way, he shoots an Ultra XT over under and it doesn't appear to significantly affect his point of impact regardless of which barrel he chooses.

Robert

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

captin, I figured all this out in a thread earlier this year. Here is an example. If you cant a gun that shoots 10" @ 40 yards by 15 degrees counterclockwise, AND you keep the beads aligned, the POI is shifted approx. 2.6" left and .3" down. That is not enough to make you miss a 27 yard handicap target, but it sure cuts down your margin for error.

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

zzt has left out the most interesting part of that long, fascinating thread, linked above. The first part is about off-setting the comb, but the latter part is about canting a gun. The numbers he quotes are based on how high the gun shoots and is unaffected by the type of gun. Low-rib, high-rib, over-single, unsingle, top barrel or bottom barrel, the determining factor is where it shoots and is independent of how or where the rib is mounted or what it looks like.

Neil

15. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

ccw1911
    Could you share some of experence on this?
    Lester

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.