1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canterbury Wireless System Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunner1949, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner1949

gunner1949 TS Member

Our club recently bought a Canterbury Wireless system to replace a wired Canterbury system. We have had component problems with the system. The system has shutdown and needed to be disconnected and "rebooted" on some occasions. The scorer's control box has failed and been replaced/repaired. One of the microphones notoriously fails to work on a periodic basis. Some of the other microphones occasionally slow pull. We have several disgruntled shooters. We have used wired systems for many years with the usual issues with the wire connections. Has anyone else had problems with the wireless system? Anyone have any comments?

2. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

We've had nothing but trouble out of our wireless Canterbury. I have sent it back 3 times and it always comes back the same. Will not buy another one.

3. pfofml

pfofml Member

a local gun club is using the Canterbury wireless system. Twice in the past year I've shot over these units. Both time I and other shooter experienced both slow pulls and no birds results. Neither the loudness nor the tone of the call for the target seemed to be a factor in there function.
    Peter

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

gunner, we have 4 new systems and we also have lots of problems with them. Quality control sucks. We have also sent stuff back for repair or replacement only to have it returned "fixed" but not working. Here are some of the lessons I've learned in the past couple of months.

1: the proper sequence for powering the system on is base unit first, then EACH of the mic transceivers, THEN the scorer's unit. We have problems with members turning on the scores unit, as they did with the wired system, but not checking to see if the mic units are powered.

2: the antenna in the base unit is directional. There must be a clear line-of-sight path between each mic tranceiver and the base unit. It helps if the mic tranceivers are mounted at the same relative height as the base unit.

3: the circuitry components used are not high quality. When you turn the pots to program the system, use a small screwdriver that fits into the slot EXACTLY. Then click past where you want to go and then return. Wiggle the pot a little to be sure it is seated. If you use the tip of a pocket knife or something similar, you probably won't get it moved correctly.

I've had this happen several times. We returned one score's unit because it simply would not turn on. It was tested and supposedly recalibrated and returned. It didn't work. Tried it on another trap (after reprogramming) and still no joy. Same for the third attempt. About a week later I decided to try again. I sat there with my little screwdriver and turned each pot back and forth at least a dozen times. I then set it back to where it should be and tried it. It worked. It worked on each of the traps I reprogrammed it for. So there was something in one of the pots not allowing it to "settle" correctly and repeatedly turning the dials evidently cleared it.

4: good batteries are important. The ones that come with the units are not good and cause some problems after only a week or two. Changing them out to brand new Energizers unfailingly cures the problem.

5: the faceplates on the mic and scorers units are a source of problems. The edges on some lots were not sealed at the factory. Consequently, when they get rained on some of the water is absorbed through the edge of the face plate and they short out. It may be intermittant at first, but when the water migrates all the way into the circuit layer sandwiched between the faceplate and the adhesive layer, the unit will short and will not work. Investing in a couple of spare $25 face plates of both types is a good idea.

6: the system runs on RF (Radio Frequency) so you are likely to have intermittent problems that crop up suddenly and then disappear. RF interference is a fact of life.

7: when you reboot the system, power down in the reverse order from startup. First the scorers unit, the the mic units then the base unit. Actually unplug the base unit from the relay box, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in to power it up. This isn't often necessary, but sometimes it is the only way to get the system back up and running. I'll theorize that the base unit locked on to some interference, or was "confused" by it and will not respond to the mics. Or it may have been the scorers unit. All three tranceivers communicate with each other and any interruption causes problems.

8: because of the shitty QC you are going to have problems. It pays to have a spare for everything. After being backordered for 4 months I finally received my spares for the base and scorers units. Now I can send my defective base unit back for repair or replacement.

The upside of this is once you become familiar with how the system operates and work your way through the initial equipment failures and get components that work, the system is much more convenient than the wired systems it replaced.

Hope this helps a little.

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Our club has about the same problems as ZZT. It has NOT work properly more than it has. We just sent the entire system back for repairs and when it was returned, worked perfectly for 2 weeks....then slowly it has gone back to its old ways. We go thru the same procedures as ZZT and it seems to work fine for some period (like 2 squads) then the failures begin again. We want to go back to wired system...then the thing will start working again and we delay replacing it. I think we are just chasing our tail and should just give up on the wireless.

Input from others would be welcome here as well.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We have had 4 CVR wireless systems (2 new, 2 used) for a couple of years and have had almost zero problems. In fact we had more issues with the wired CVR's the wireless replaced.

We keep the antenna unit out side the house facing the shooters and the transmitters on the mic stands about 18" off the ground. Don't forget to check the connections on the relay box that sits in the house and is connected to the trap machine. Get some Deoxit 5 contact cleaner and spray all the screw on connections every 6 months as part of a regular maintence program.

Eric

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

We have 3 sets of wireless CVR's and have very little trouble with them. Once you get the setup right I think they work very well. Ours are setup simular to what Mixer described in his missive.

What few problems we have had has been handled promptly by Gary Parker at Target shotguns.

Jim.

8. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have 6 sets running for 4 plus years with very few problems. Our installation mirrors Mixer's post above. I pop riveted the transmitter to each post about 18" above the ground and mounted the receiver plexiglass holder on the back of the house. Our biggest problem has been the yard maintenance crew knocking the plexiglass box's off the house's with the new lawn tractor. Waaaay less problems than the old wired Canterbury's. Harv.

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with Harv and Jim. We have two sets, the oldest is about 3 years old and the other is a year newer. The wired sets caused lots more issues than the wireless. The only issue we've had is getting the switches set in the right spot, they can be kind of touchy, but once they are right you never have to mess with them so it's just something that you have to pay attention to at installation.

We had to replace a cord or two, but that was due to our own abuse and not a fault of the system. The cord ends on both the wired and wireless are not very rugged and have to be handled with care.

Harv - the guy that mows at your place must mow at Naperville too. We've had two plexiglass holders get wiped out.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

canterbury wireless problems