1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canterbury Voice Release Wired Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capnrico, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

What type of wire is everyone using to replace the cable on the wired voice releases? One guy is telling me that it's computer wire for LAN and another is telling me to use 18ga. SJOW.

What are you guys using?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's not computer cable. You can use regular 18ga wire from the microphone to the control box but shielded microphone cable is prefered although it's more expensive than the 18ga.

Eric

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I bought a 250' spool and the ends at an electronics store, I figure each cord cost us $25.00 or so. I made a "test" cord from regular old lamp cord wire.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The SJO 2/c 18 works fine. I have not determined if shielding is necessary for any reason, unless you are in an area crackling with RFI. 3 years now, and never a problem.

The wire that came with the original units was the worst I have ever seen in 30 years as a sound system contractor.

We get some good low temp wire from Graybar electric. Carol brand. Use of heat shrink around the clamps saves a lot of trouble. So does a good dielectric grease on the connector pins.

HM

5. arrow

arrow Member

I would recommend using shielded wire. I have seen trouble caused by
    both rf and 60 cycle power induction In the wired unites.
    some times it will cause the system not to work at all sometimes
    it just degrades the operation where you get slow pulls or not target once in a while. Hard to find.

You also have to make sure the shield goes to pin 1 on the connector.
    Non shielded wire will work just does not work as well.

Bryan Pierce
    Pierce sales and repair.
    I specialize in Canterbury Voice Release systems

6. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

I definitely agree with arrow as I have seen problems by not using shielded cable.

Dale Z

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Halfmile nailed it. As per Bob Shultz (and me, who has made more of them than I want to remember), you do not need shielded cable between the control box and the relay box. If you examine what was furnished with the system, you will find that that cable is unshielded. HM's recommendation of Carol brand wire, shrink wrap boots and dialectic grease are all on target.

Helpful hint. Pay a few pennies extra and buy shrink wrap tubing in the next larger size, with 3x shrink capability. You'll be much happier than trying to get the 2x stuff to shrink perfectly evenly around the various diameters. A $10 paint peeler heat gun works great for shrinking.

8. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

There is a Graybar near me. I'm a Contractor so I have the weapons to do a proper job.

My electrician was uncertain of the wire and is the one that steered me towards tha LAN cable. I was more after the characteristics of the SJO cable for winter.

Sorry for not responding sooner but sometimes I have to work. I've got this printed for reference.

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cable used on canterbury voice release

voice release cable