1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canterbury troubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ithaca33, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ithaca33

ithaca33 Member

My club has been using a Canterbury voice release system for about 9 years (wired model) and have recently started having issues with it. We are located on the CT shoreline and the closest repair shop listed on the Canterbury site is in North Carolina. Are there any authorized parties who could come take a look at it or are there any common issues I should look into first?

I have checked over all the fittings/connections and applied some di-electric grease to the fittings. Nothing seems out of sort or obviously wrong.

The voice system randomly fails. Could be after one round could be after ten or right in the middle of a round but eventually it fails. At that point we plug in the manual button and the trap functions flawlessly. (it's a Pat Trap)

Thanks for reading any and all advice is welcome.

Pat

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, you need some one familiar with electronics, not necessarily an electrician. Usually the problems at the connections--not in your case is my guess. It sounds as though you have an issue in the main control box. I assume you are speaking about Schultz' in NC. Gary is top shelf and very helpfull, give him a call and he should be able to tell you what to send. Having said that, could it be a transformer issue?? the small box with 3 wires in the house. I am NOT good at this stuff but have had too much experience with them. Good luck and call Gary, there's none better.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Generally you will find the problems in the wires. Flexing at the connections will break down and short out. You can call yell and get no bird.
    Take a meter and check your wires, Your looking for continuity, Flex the wire while your doing this. Its an easy fix, Trim and re-solder.

4. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

Bob Schultz sells a kit for checking problims with wires and speakers. The kit works very well. Also you can take the 6 screws out that hold the control box together there are plugs inside sometime the plugs come loose.

Rick

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

when geoffrey chaucer gets writers block

6. missed some

missed some TS Member

good one quartering

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

tee hee,

8. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

We use the Pierce test kit which I believe is the best one available and we have reduced our voice release problems to the rare problem and faults are easily found with this kit.

Adios, Dirk

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Buy, or make yourself test cables. Start replacing till you find the faulty cable. Fix it and now you have spares, you will need them.

10. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

If the system completely fails (none of the "speakers" function inspite of any type of call) it could possibly be a relay in the power box that fails. A person with good soldering skills can easily replace the relay. Look at the top of the relay and replace it with the same type.
    You can find these relays at Radio Shack or order if from Digi-Key on the internet. Or, if the power box is left in your trap house, it is possible that moisture has made its way into the works and there is damage to the printed circuit. This is a major problem and the supply will need to be rapaired or replaced.

Billy P

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We here at Mallard Trap Club in NJ have 3 sets of Canterburys and Gary from Rocky Mountain Clay Sports in Centennial CO has been doing our repairs and we are very happy with his work . We have replaced all the connectors after cutting off a foot of cable and installed shrink wrap on them . I also replaced most all microphones too . We did have 2 transformers fail and a couple loose wires . All in all RMCS has been fast on turn around with repairs and very fair priced . WE recommend him highly .

12. pulllit

pulllit Member

I have had a similar problem as described in Pat's original post. More than once I have found the transformer wires loose from the printed circuit board. The transformer is heavy and the board connections are not strong enough to hold. Resolder the solid wire to the board foil. Use a slight wiggle of the transformer and watch for movement of the wire at the solder joint.

The transformer is the unit located near the trap machine. Try to mount it where there is no chance of it getting knocked around.

13. ithaca33

ithaca33 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It is definitely not any of the cables as someone guessed above, when it fails none of the speakers work nor does the button. Our electronics are all permanently wired inside our clubhouse with an underground PVC pipe routing the wires to the trap. I will check inside the box today to see if anything appears loose or out of place.

Thanks again all,
    Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.