1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canterbury traps...the good? bad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I was reading the "types of trap throwers" thread and lots of raving about the Pat traps. I am curious why nobody mentions the Canterbury traps? I would of posted this in his thread but didnt want to hijack his thread.

Are these bad throwers? why are they not mentioned? are they the odd man out machines?

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Wow nobody must have any experience with these?

3. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

Ours throws great targets...............when it works, as it constantly breaks down.

Very undependable.

Adios, Dirk

4. skeeter1956

skeeter1956 Member

we have 4 canterbury traps 3 years old and so far no real problems... although i prefer materelli's myself.

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Watauga Gun Club near Boone NC has them.

FRedmon

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I recently volunteered at a gun club that lost there main guy to keep these going. I have zero experience with them and was looking for some pointers on possibly the most common repairs etc. etc. Any advice appreciated.

7. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Contact Gary Parker or Bob Schultz @ target shotguns. They may be able to help with service needs.....

Dick Gries

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

We have a Crusader (singles only) machine. You need to keep a main spring in stock and we recently replaced the target splitter knife with a new upgraded version. Since the knife was replaced, my opinion of these machines have changed. We have not been very happy with this machine. We had significant target breakage until the knife was replaced about six weeks ago. Now the machine breaks a rare target.

As Dick indicated above, Gary Parker is the man at Bob Schultz's. I posted a link to the web site above. Bill Malcolm

9. Smiley

Smiley Member

We have had Canterbury Traps for 6 yrs now and have had few problems,Mainsprings do break and the fingers that place the clays on the arm need to be kept free.The solenoid will wear out with usage or the pin holding the linkage to the trigger will shear.
    To replace/repair the mainspring is easy and you can save the bosses in the spring by cutting off the broken coils and reinserting the bosses in a new spring.The fingers that place the clay on the arm plus the plunger that moves up to receive the clay from the magazine need to be kept clean and lightly sprayed with a silicone spray(grease or oil accumulates clay residue and cause the plunger to rise slowly as it is a spring return)The solenoid rails wear out with usage causing the plunger to twist and jam,sometimes the pin on the solenoid pluger will shear and needs to be replced with a high grade high tensile bolt/capscrew.
    Otherwise oil and grease as per Canterbury's manual and as always keep the machine as clean as possible.
    At the moment I am rebuilding a Trapmaster the is 7 years old that was struck by Lighting causing a major fire melting all the plastic materials,I have completely stripped it down and am about to get everything reanodised and powdercoated and will either use them for spares or if not to costly will recommission it
    As for comments regarding reliability I will say that like all machinery if you don't look after it it will not be reliable
    We use these traps 3 days a week for practice plus comps and have a breakage rate below 1% for targets thrown

Paul

10. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

Paul,
    We have on of the Canterbury's at our club. It seems you know more about them than the person that sold it to us. Would you e-mail me @ tmdukes@msn.com.
    Thanks,
    Marion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.