1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canterbury and Other VCR Systems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ECEEng, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECEEng

ECEEng TS Member

As part of a project for school I am examining Voice Controlled
    Release Systems in use. Part of this will be examining the problems
    and inconveniences that these systems have. Admittedly I am a novice to the
    sport at all levels and have seen briefly the Canterbury in use. I want your
    opinions on whats right and wrong with these systems so that I can better
    understand the problems with the system.

2. samiam03

samiam03 Member

You're in for a great debate. I recommend that you do some web research and then talk directly to the manufacturers and their tech depts. Make a spread sheet of features with a few columns for the negatives you're going to read of on this forum. Talk to some range managers as well - particularly in widely different climate regions to see if there is a temperature varible in their operation.

Just my opinion and my advice. You can only see clearly what you understand completely.

Sam

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

4. tj303

tj303 Member

The biggest complaint I hear from shooters is that some voice releases don't respond to some shooters 'calls'. The Outers system was/is notorious for not responding to all 'calls'.

5. made half

made half TS Member

I have heard that these Microphones have been designed to be activated on the
    "PULL" command rather then other words. Can anyone confirm this?

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The microphones are level sensitive. A short word or sound is best, a longer sound or word like puuuuuuuuLLLLLLL with the level increasing at the end of the word will make it seem you're getting a slow pull.

Eric

7. ECEEng

ECEEng TS Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. I hope this thread will continue to grow since it reaches a much larger audience than I could possibly reach. I will be contacting distributors since Canterbury is manufactured in New Zeland and distributors might be more likely to hear complaints. In response to the system responding to some shooters call's do they tend to have higher/lower pitched voices or is it a matter of the 'calls' the use as in bird,pull,fire,"grunt" or any other call? There is a lot of energy stored in the Puh part of pull which would confirm mixer's comment and suggest better activation with that word. I will be examining this extensively considering it seems to be the biggest issue other than maintenance. Thanks everyone for your input.

JKL

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm hard of hearing and cannot tell how loud or soft my own voice is; I frequently get a no bird because I'm too soft. I use the word HO instead of PULL because PULL requires more lip movement and energy. My biggest complaint by far is tripping targets on our trap field by someone on an adjacent trap field because they are too loud.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For those having problems getting a target every time you call, you might want to try putting the microphone directly in front of you rather than off to the side.

Eric

10. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are right handed, put the mic on the left, if you are left handed put the mic on the right. You will get much better results doing it this way. It's common sense, the volume of your call will be picked up by the mic much faster since your voice is on the side that is not blocked by the stock.
    Hope this helps, Roy

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Mike,

When you come to Great Falls next State Shoot you wont' have to worry about someone next to you setting off targets. I promise.

Rick in Great Falls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.