1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cantebury wireless problems? *solved, FYI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

we have 5 traps using these and they are now 6-7 years old. We are starting to experience chronic problems. We have talked to Gary many times and even Gary is perplexed on some issues. Heck we have one trap that has post 1 and post 3 that worked fine THEN post 1 and 3 quit communicating....no avail you just cant get them to latch on again. We took two mich transmitters from another trap tuned them and all was good. Call Gary he sends out two replacements. 2 weeks later post 3 and now post 4 wont latch on. I am starting to think these things are electronics and like anything electronic age starts to show its problems.

What are you guys seeing? How old are your systems? good experience? Heck should we trade in for a entire new set?

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Are you talking about wireless?

Should Gary be unable to repair them you have a problem. Jake

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Since Canterbury wireless uses the same frequency bands as the Wi-Fi used by smart phone and computers, is there a chance that you have a computer, tablet or smart phone that is trying to connect and may be blocking or interfering with the voice release?

If I read the charts right, the voice release operate in the 2.4 GHz band which is the same as 802.11N routers?

Here is a link to the Canterbury channels. Click Here for channel assignment info.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Found the problem. It is the voltage off our trap boards. FYI, if you are having a weak signal ie, some speakers not working all the time more so on the back yardage. WEAK VOLTAGE. Wireless needs a minimum of 14 volts dc. The transformers convert to 17 but they generally operate at 16.2 ish range. But will go as low as 14. If voltage drops below that it can ommit a speaker or two. Ours had standing voltage on low side but when trap would cycle or cocking motor kick in it would drop below range. Hence our intermittant problem with michs. appeared to be a mich problem but was not.

We found we have one trap board BAD (8-10 volts) wont even work the system. And one on the edge. I hope this info helps others.

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can you explain what a trap board is. Thanks

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"I put in rayovacs and units started to not communicate."

Menards sells Rayovacs at excellent prices, but I finally gave up on them when they would start leaking while still in the original packaging. Bought a dozen D cells once and 4 of them started leaking before I could use them in my Maglite. Hope others have had better luck.

Bob Falfa

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Yes the board is the main control board on the trap. Where you check the voltage is at the 3 pin plug where you plug in your trap transiever. Check the voltage on the two pins left and right of the detent for the plug.

8. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I am a little slow what is the fix? A new transformer to increase the voltage or a whole new board?

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

A new transformer will fix it however, we do not do that here. We will send the board off to a professional and have that replaced.

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We have the transformers in stock. They are soldered in and we replace them for $35 we also check out the entire unit for proper voltages, resistance and capacitance on all components while fixing the transformer. There are a couple of diodes in there that need to be checked also. For repair advice call Gary Parker at 828-693-3833

Bob Schultz - Target Shotguns Inc. Address and contact info on link above.

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.