1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cant set the trigger help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tinker, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinker

tinker TS Member

I just bought a perazzi with a release been shooting a release since 85 rem 3200 wheen i set the release for some reason the gun fires and it is me now i cant set the release

2. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

The first thing I would do if I was you is have someone else who is accustomed to shooting a release is give this trigger a try. What you might be use to for as set and release could be a lot different. I was trying a release on someone elses gun one day and every time I went to set it it would pull thru. Danny

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

About the only thing U can do is buy a K-gun---U can set trigger with open gun and then close the gun---I know 2 guys who have the same problem--switched to K-Gun and no more problem---I don't know another gun U can do that with---Try a K-Gun or have someone with one try it for U---gL---sjb---

4. loop02

loop02 Member

Maybe it is trying to tell you something.Maybe you have had enough.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Don't believe that---U can beat it---try what I said---It will work---sjb

6. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Tinkerer, you need some travel in your trigger, had the same problem with a release that was "too good for me" and would have the hammer fall because I would relax slightly after I set the trigger. Got some creep in the trigger and have been finer than frogs hair since.

Joe McGorman

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

OH---I thought he could not set the trigger---sjb---

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Slow the trigger down. Put a glove on your trigger hand.

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Tinker, your Perazzi trigger is probably out of time. Have Giacomo or another G/S familiar with Perazzis retime it. If you still can't set the trigger after the gun is mounted, then set it with the gun down and open, close it and mount it.

Buz

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Tinker all releases are not the same some have to be set quickly and firm what you have experienced is a pull threw you either did not set it fast enough or the trigger is out of time and needs adjustment. A pull threw will sure rattle you when it happens I have first hand experience myself. I changed guns and the new gun had a much faster trigger so when I set it ,it pulled threw I then set it with a quick firm set and it was fine just different speeds and lock times.

11. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Maybe it's a pull trigger? If you just bought it someone may have changed it.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

tinker- First make sure your trigger is mechanically working correctly. Take the trigger out and convince yourself it is OK. Then rest for a week and don't worry about your problem. Next go to the practice field and shoot by yourself. Work on setting the trigger firmly, gripping the trigger and pistol grip very firmly. Also grip the forend firmly. Mount the gun, set the trigger and then only think about seeing the bird clearly. Forget about the trigger, it will go off when it is supposed to go off. Trust your gun and only think about seeing the target.

Pat Ireland

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You are among many. Some shooters can't mentally handle a pull-through and become afraid to set a release. Another anxiety issue that can be tough to deal with.

Good advise on getting your trigger checked. Bumping up the set pressure with more let-off is often a good fix. In the meantime, stay away from that thing until all is checked out.

Your next step is a few visits to a qualified hypnotherapist. Not cheap but works very well for some.

Your last step is practicing setting your trigger with the gun open and then closing the action. Not all guns with release triggers will function that way.

If all else fails-take up fishing!!

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

create new thread

15. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Visiting a hypnotherapist to cure a trigger set problem? I guess the next step is to have a clinic with the guy who can bend spoons with his mind...Uri Geller...and then go out and break targets without a gun. That would sure solve the trigger problem.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

mx2k33- I cannot bend a spoon with my mind, but I can bend my mind with a spoon.

Pat Ireland

17. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Very funny Pat!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

mx2k33- Counter to your apparent skepticism, hypnotism can work. I once dated a girl that was convinced she could hypnotize me. She tried, I pretended, and it worked.

Pat Ireland

19. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Pat, I must agree with you. My wife is the best hypnotist I know. She starts out with....Honey, could you....and I'm out like a light for hours.

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Try dry firing using snap caps and a wall chart.

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.