1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't seem to run 'em!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joetrap52, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joetrap52

joetrap52 TS Member

Well, I've been back to shooting for about 2 months now after a 25 year absence. No problem with 24's but just can't run them. I know it's a "head thing". Any suggestions?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Use the force Joe skywalker. Don't think, just shoot.

Jim

3. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

Stop trying to shoot 25's and shoot 1's.

If you're trying to shoot by sub-event (25) or event (100-200) you're going to think yourself out of it every time.

Concentrate on breaking the one target in front of you.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep shooting and have fun. Always try to break the next one. Things will fall in place but your frustration will continue and only the number will change. Next fall, you can start another thread lamenting that you just can't get 50, or 75 straight. Then, in two years you can join the large number of shooters who have several scores of 99 but just can't seem to get 100. In several more years you can learn that a score of 199 can be quite disappointing when you drop one after 175 straight.

Once we reach a current goal, the importance of that goal disappears and a new goal pops up. A few weeks ago I listened to Phil K., Leo H. and Kay O. all mentioning that they just could not get everything at the level they should be.

Pat Ireland

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how often do you miss the first bird? If you do not miss it very often, shoot like its the 1st bird every time

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shoot with the best shooters around. Let the competitive juices flow, You'll run your straight.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

joetrap52,
    Which post do you seem to have the most trouble with?

Jon Reitz

8. joetrap52

joetrap52 TS Member

I always try to start on 4. My miss is usually on 1.

9. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

joe,

If you're just coming back after a 25-year layoff and are breaking 24s, you're doing pretty well! It'll all come together for you soon, don't give up.

10. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Whats your handicap scores like singles will mess you up worse than handicap in thinking start on handicap shooting forget singles .

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

If post 1 (or 5) is causing a problem, you might try this in practice. Step back in the "batter's box" just a bit (maybe a foot or so). The thinking is that you are making yourself believe that you are not being surprised by that angle bird because now the angle is not quite as severe. Further, you can also avoid being to the outside of the "box" and stand more toward the inside of the field, on 1 and 5, also to help combat that "angle" thing just a little. Food for thought...

That 25 is not far away, and it will occur when you least expect it. Then they'll come in bunches.

12. joetrap52

joetrap52 TS Member

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'll try all the suggestions. I'm not giving up by any stretch..just wanted some advice...THANKS

13. sweeper1

sweeper1 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.