1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't remember name of stock smith - help!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tom monzitta, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom monzitta

tom monzitta Member

Several years ago, there was a stock smith who specialized in cutting adjustable combs in trap shotguns. His ads always said that he finished the cut to the same finish as the rest of the stock. He advertised in Shotgun Sports and the ATA magazine. He did one of my shotguns and did a great job. Havn't seen the ad for awhile. Does anyone remember who it is? Who is the best around now to cut a Beretta stock and install an adjustable comb and hardware?

2. dws

dws TS Member

IMO, and my experience you can't go wrong with Greg Hissem. I've pasted his link above and here <a href= "http://www.greghissemstockworks.com" http://www.greghissemstockworks.com </a>

Dennis

3. jtf650

jtf650 Member

Maybe Joe Hollingsworth? That sounds like his ad copy. The link above gives his contact info, but there are lots of guys who do nice work. James Fawcett

4. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I will 2nd Dennis's sentiments. I just had Greg do some alterations and it was an example of fine craftsmanship.

Chris Morris

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It was Dave Berlett, New Knoxville, Ohio, or Hollingsworth. I'd have to look at one of my stocks for phone number for Dave.

6. BIG HOUSE

BIG HOUSE TS Member

DO NOT USE HOLLINGSWORTH !!!!!! He did a stock for me a few weeks ago, it was not done right and he won't stand behind his work.

Thx BIG HOUSE

7. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use Greg Hissem, his work is super.

8. Sawdust

Sawdust TS Member

Big House,
    I stand behind my work and have for forty-two(42) years. But, I do not stand behind someone else's poor finish. Get over it.
    Joe Hollingsworth

9. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Rich Kaysa doe's top work and is building a new stock for me.. 210-829-0297. I have heard good about Greg also. Greg is in Kansas, Rich is in San Antonio. Allen. Depends on how soon you need it. Rich is also a top Gunsmith.

10. tom monzitta

tom monzitta Member

Thank you all. I'll contact these gentlemen and get this done. I appreciate your help.

Tom

11. wlc

wlc Member

Greg Hissem has done several stocks for me. Quality is always excellent, as is his service.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Greg Hissem has done 9 stocks for me and has always done absolutely astounding job. Better doesn't exist!

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Mr. Hollingsworth did a Beretta comb for me, and it was done perfectly.

I do not know Mr. Hissem, but have only heard good things about his work.

Mark Duprez in NY is an excellent stock maker and does veeery nice comb and butt pad work, but he uses the comb system that employs the plastic spacers.

I have had Todd Nelson (the Country Gentlemen) do a comb for me, their specialty is stock fitting, and I prefer their hardware which does not require a spacer but rather the position (up/down, left/righ) is locked in via allen head screw (I also like their adjustable butt pad).

14. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

I had Rod of Rod's Custom Stocks cut an adjustable comb and install an adjustable pad plate on my new XT at the Open this week. I am very happy with the results.

--Scott T

15. southpark

southpark TS Member

Tom Larkin did work for me with which I was very pleased. Seemed like a straight-up old fashioned guy too, which I liked a lot.

16. Capt. Ralph

Capt. Ralph TS Member

I've used Mark Shimchick at Joel Etchen's for all my stock work for the last several years and found his work to be second to none. He has a quick turn around and find that pricing is very fair. Mark has installed no fewer than six adjustable combs and about the same amount of adjustable butt plates on several of my guns. He's also done some pretty challenging work for me with excellant results.
    First class work. I highly recomend him.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Greg Hissem. You won't meet a nicer guy, and he's a heckuva trap shooter.

Tim

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Depending on your location, you might consider master gunsmith, Tom Larkin in Minnesota. He's done several for me for my customers and I like his work.

His particulars are:

The Stock Shop<BR>
    121 Gates Avenue<BR>
    Kenyon MN 55946<BR>
    507-789-5523

WW

19. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Check with Ken Rucker at Speed Bump Stockworks. Great guy and beautiful work at a reasonable. Located in TX. Regards, Bob

20. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I'll put in another plug for Mark Shimchick, he did the adjustable comb on my Ljutic and I've seen his work for others, he does an outstanding job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.