1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

can't pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JUMBO, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JUMBO

JUMBO TS Member

can

just wondering if anyone else out there has had trouble pulling the trigger when the rock come out, sometimes i have to try 2 or 3 times before i can actually pull the trigger, i have tried a release trigger and it seems to elimate the problem, but my scores are as good using a release trigger. Is there away to over come this problem or is the release trigger the only answer. Didn't know if there was some type of practice i could do to change this problem. If you know of anything let me know. Jim c.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Releases are the only thing that has worked for me.

Ed

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

The only thing that helped me to rectify that problem was a release trigger. The release made shooting fun again. Ed

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What you have is a "balk" - a variety of flinch. A release trigger would seem to be the only thing that can help. You can also try shooting a "low gun" - calling for the target with the gun dismounted. Call for the target, mount and shoot. See if this works out. If it does, you can "fool yourself" by mounting the gun before calling for the target BUT not holding it tightly to your shoulder or clamping your cheek to the stock. This works for some people with this problem Good luck.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Yes you can preactice but when that can't pull the trigger sneaks up it will get you.

Try this look at an item on the wall and then point quickly at it with your finger, it hit it centered.

Now look at the same spot and pull your finger like pulling a trigger pointing at it, didn't work did it.

Pointing at the target is a voluntary action

Curling your finger at the target is an involuntary action.

That is why god gave you a finger to point with!!!

That is why release triggers were invented, to point at the target, SMOKE.

Gary Bryant
    Dr,longshot

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

longshot that is the dumbest thing I have heard of.

Don

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

maybe "jumbo's" pointing finger needs to go on a diet!!!

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jumbo, need more info. Where in relation to the house is your hold point? Is this a problem on all stations? Do different backgrounds seem worse? One or two eyed shooter? Right or left hand? Do you know what eye is the master? What brand of gun? What is the trigger pull in lbs? Do you squeeze or slap the trigger?

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just yank on it harder, it'll go.

Gne J

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Hippie, I have tried your suggestion but yanking it harder and harder only gave me blisters. Didn't make it go. Jake

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Jake, are ya sure that you had the safety off? lol

12. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I was taught/learned to slap a pull trigger to overcome this problem.

I push my trigger finger into the trigger guard, not touching the trigger at all, and I just "pop" the trigger at some point to break the target. I still have an occasional balk, but I usually find that I am riding the trigger when it happens.

It works for me, but not 100%. I don't think there is a 100% cure, but then my singles average is nearly 97 now with my Monogun, so I am not complaining.

I do the same with my Citori in Doubles, just slap it twice.

Thanks to Jim Brown for the tip

13. JUMBO

JUMBO TS Member

My hold point varies depending on height of targets but usually right at the top of the trap house, i am a right handed shooter, i am a two eyed shooter i have shoot pretty much all my life for fun, i just started shooting ata last november and in the past i have never had this problem. i shoot a Zoli trap gun o/u and unsingle. when i started shooting i was averaging around 86 after 6 months i had got to about a 92 now i am going the other way. although i have been shooting defferent guns recently because i have been getting work down on my Zoli. I have shoot a bretta 391, a browning broad way and my old model 12. my left eye is the master. I believe i squeeze the trigger. jc

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

Jumbo,

Something to try. If you're a trigger squeezer (you take up the slack and squeeze), stop that, and try slapping the trigger. Grip _tighter_ with your trigger hand, keep the index finger away from the trigger until ready to fire the shot, then SLAP the trigger.

If I grip loosely with my trigger hand, and place the finger on the trigger and take up slack and squeeze my way through the shot...I can eventually count on 2~3 "hesitation" flinches per 100 as the summer goes on. Gripping tighter and slapping takes care of the problem, for me.

15. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

If it is possible to determine why this is occuring you will be a long way to solving it. My problem was shoulder pain. When I went to the PFS it stopped. I put release triggers on but it was like putting a band aid on the symptom not the cause. Once I got the pain issue stopped, the pull trigger was fine. You can also get a flinch if you are not seeing the target correctly. Gun fit, sight picture, comfort...one shot being just like the other is important. If you are anticipating anything...you may have a flinch. IMHO

JON

16. philk

philk Member

Been having this problem myself lately, about once or twice in a hundred rounds. Seems to get alot better the harder I concentrate on the target.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

JUMBO, you given enough scenarios to make this one hard to pin down without seeing you. Heres my thoughts.

You've obviously been shooting several different POI's with the various guns. It takes time for your mental computor to register the sure kills and adjust your move and sight pic to break the target. You have definetly been getting an influx of varied data which makes it hard for your brain to get valid data.

Also with each gun is a different trigger poundage I'm sure pluss a different sensation. You really can't bounce back and forth between this selection of guns and get consistent results. They are to different.

The move to the target and the sensation you well upon tracking will be different.

I have the four guns you mention and I know wha each is like. They are totally indifferent to one another.

Try slapping the trigger too. This will be to your advantage when switching guns as it doesn't effect the sensation your finger feels compared to squeezing with various triggers.

Next and one that needs addressed regardless of which gun your shooting is your eye dominance. I would suggest either switching shoulders now or tape off your left eye.

How much longer before you get the Zoli back? Till then I would pick one of the guns you have and just shoot it. When the Zoli is back in your hands, then shoot a few hundred and see if things don't get back to where they were.

I'll repeat this one again. You need to either switch shoulders or tape off the left eye. It will assist you far greater than any other item.

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jim: You initially stated "The release solved the problem but your scores weren't as good". Speaking for myself who had this "problem"; I tried all of the above stated fixes. I had trigger pulls anywhere from 4.5# to 3.0 #. I practiced the "slapping" of the trigger and tried every method that fellow shooters threw my way. As stated the release solved the problem. (By your own admission it solved yours). Practice with the release and I'm sure your scores will improve. In my opinion, your condition will only worsen and you will get frustrated. I know the feeling. Good Luck. Ed

19. JUMBO

JUMBO TS Member

I want to thank everyone for there advise, i think i have a few things i can work on, if any of it helps i will let you all know which one turned out to solve the problem. thanks Again Jumbo

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

You boys are lucky, flinching 2 or 3 times per hundred. I flinch around 3 or 4 times per SHOT.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cant catch in pull triger

cant pull the trigger