1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't keep it together mentally....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Can

Can't get the 50. I start thinking about the score too much and make myself nervous. I lose focus and....lost. Another 49. I know, focus on the bird, one bird at a time. Just because I know, doesn't mean I can do it.

Dave

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but the only solution is to keep doing it. If you can break 49 you can break 50. You've broken any target they can throw you. Believe.

3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I have had some of the same problems. When you raise your shotgun and a thought comes into your head lower the gun and start your sequence or again. This has helped me.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Way out in the back of your mind, you really don't want to break that 50. You're happier striving for it and never reaching it because it's a familiar state of mind. If you reach 50 the next level is 75 and you fear having to succeed at 50 each time you try just to have a chance at the 75. You fear having to succeed at the next task so you allow yourself to fail at the task at hand. You let your mind dwell on your fears and once you miss that one target you can settle down and concentrate because you know you're safe for another round.

Shoot 50 rounds of 1 target... not 1 round of 50 targets. Then you need not worry about all the targets you have yet to break.

Keller

5. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

who cares, just shoot the next orange thing.

The one thing that keeps me going is-- it is the last bird.... DO NOT MISS IT.

Kenny U

6. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I have struggled with this before until I was shooting a handicap event at the state shoot and I was just ink balling them. Had a very good score going until the last trap where my mind shifted out of neutral and wouldn't stop thinking about how good of a score I was gonna post. I got myself so nervous that I completely fell apart and my score went into the toilet. I spent the entire winter thinking about that experience and how I talked myself right into a bad score. So the following year I was back at the same shoot believe it or not and began another good score which was gonna result in a yardage punch if I could hold it together. I remember starting to feel my nerves getting jumpy and it was on the verge of affecting my shooting as I could feel myself getting careful. I remember doing a gut check, reminded myself of the bad experience I had the previous year and that this time I didn't care if I missed targets, it was just not gonna be because I got nervous and I WASN'T going home with any regrets this time. If I got beat, it was gonna be by the targets and not by my own thoughts. I also told myself that I could break any target thrown and I was hoping to get some hard angles so that when I crushed them it would make the good score more important to me. After all, who wants a good score shooting all easy targets, that doesn't mean anything. I wanted to be challenged and come through or go down swinging. This mind set kept me aggressive and sharp. Ever since then I don't get a whole lot of nerves problem. I finished the handicap score strong with a yardage punch and a state trophy. The last target was a hard left on post one, which is what I was hoping to get and I just turned it inside out.

7. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Another thing that may help you Dave is to remember you're not shooting scores, you're shooting targets. When you go to a shoot don't concentrate on what scores you're gonna shoot or even how many targets you're gonna shoot at. You are going to the shoot for one purpose only, to break the first target. Then the next target and so on. It helps me to remember in the big picture of my life the scores I post really don't affect my life either way. So if you break a 49 or 50 isn't going to make a difference at all so there's no reason to worry about it. My first 50 was nearly impossible to get too. Now it's common in my shooting and really doesn't even mean anything to me, some day it will be the same for you and you will wonder why you were so nervous.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

When I'm straight and near the end and if I start to get a bit puckery, I start taking long, slow and deep breaths. It works.......almost every time. The extra oxygen will help calm you and center your focus.

9. windyflat

windyflat Member

I struggled with the same thing until about 8 weeks ago.
    I found my focus would get too wide; my mind would wander and my scores went south.
    Until I found the correct level of focus I would drop one or two and it was over for me for the day.

10. erock_germany

erock_germany Member

One answer: valium...

But seriously, I shoot Bunker (very little ATA here but there is one club I visit once a year and remember the good 'ol days in NY) and the only way I shot my first 25 was simpy to picture the next post and the bird breaking again and again. Not thinking where I was, how many I had shot, how many I had to go. Just always think of the next bird. Picture it breaking. Got through the setup and then break the beotch...focus on the ne bird and they will break. Sometimes all of them!

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I'll paraphrase what I've heard and read from top shooters... Whether it's your first target, or your last. If thoughts like "Boy, I hope I don't miss this one" start creeping into your head, replace it with... "I paid for this target, and I'm going to SMOKE IT!" Good luck.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

drink a beer and relax, it works

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

learn to relax between shots, this is when you let your mind relax, when the shooter before you shoots, time to focus on the task at hand, if done correctly you only need 3-5 seconds of focus and you can do that. Positive affirmations, I will break this target, visualize sight picture of a target you just smoked, then just do it!

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It was mention above..."You don't shoot a fifty target event..you shoot fifty,one target programs." Think one at a time and forget the rest.

Big Jack

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"The target exists for the shooter to break."

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If it was easy, we would all be 99% shooters. I always seem to have that one bird, where for the life of me, don't understand why I called pull.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would submitt that you really don't want to 'keep it together'. That adrenaline filled rush you are getting is the part of the reward of the game - with out that, trapshooting would be much less interesting.

But take heart, you WILL bust a 50 then a 100x100 then who knows maybe a 200x200 or 100x100 in doubles. Just get that can't do it thought out of your head and enjoy the ride.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I talk to my big old Lab buddy Luka Brasi. In my head,of course. He is the calmest animal that I have ever owned[?]. He is almost 12 and can't travel like he used to, but he's always with me. Bill
    slayer_2008_03038.jpg

19. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

In my short time shooting I have learned this is a mental game, the more you think the harder it is to break targets. Just shooting a good score is tough enough let alone hitting plateaus (25, 50, 75, and 100). Hitting 50 for me was tough as even 25's were tough to come by for me, so when I ran a trap those thoughts of breaking 50 occupied my mind and on a few occasions I missed my 50th target. Now that trap house doesn't know its throwing your 50th target and it is no more difficult than the first 49, sometimes even easier. When I got my 50 I ran my first trap and kept telling myself this is the day I do it, so I missed m 28th bird and was really bummed and kept thinking how I missed that easy target. With my mind being occupied beating myself up how I missed that target I ran the rest for a 99. I was SO impressed with my 99 it didn't dawn on me till later that I also broke 50 straight. To me the thought of breaking 75 or 100 straight seemed impossible, till I just went out and shot the targets and earlier this month I got my 75 and since I was feeling frisky just broke the last 25 too. oscar

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

When I was new to trap and trying to hit a magic number I just kept telling myself in my head ...gee, only 200 more targets to go today...if you make your mind believe the end is a looong way off...then your head wont worry over the next 75 or so...just keep putting the final target so far out of mind you forget and just keep plowing ahead..treat it like a job that just has to be done then do each one right as if on an assemby line...that worked for me but then again I like to climb flag poles with my tie-dye boxer shorts and a red Lucille Ball wig on ..so take it for what its worth ; ))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.