1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

can't hold release trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shooter#1, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter#1

shooter#1 TS Member

I have been shooting a release for some time now and have trouble holding the trigger sometimes. I don't know if it is a mind thing but think it maybe. Has anyone else had that problem and if so how did you correct it? thank you Jim

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Jim ... if your having problems holding a release trigger please tell us all what club/s you shoot at.

Personally if your having problems holding a release trigger you do not need to be shooting at all ... you are a serious safety risk if you cant hold a release trigger.

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

How long is "some time"? If it is more than about 10 rounds of trap, then you should be habitualized by now.
    Perhaps you need to think about going back to a standard pull trigger?

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

I will second the suggestion to go back to a pull trigger. It is better to be safe than sorry.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Your trigger is probably a bit worn and is getting too fast. Best way to fix that problem is to increase set pressure and make the difference between the set and release greater. Have your trigger examined by a competent release triggersmith.

Ignore the know nothing idiots!!

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

First let me start by saying I'm not a big fan of release triggers for several reasons. Having said that here is my suggestion. Get a trap wall chart and practice setting and releasing at home. Do this atleast 50 times a day for a month. You should see positive results. I would also have the trigger checked and adjusted if needed.

Joe goldberg

7. shooter#1

shooter#1 TS Member

Thanks for all that reponded. It is not a safty issue or I would not be shooting. It is when I have called for the bird with the trigger set I think I am just letting go to soon. Sometimes just when I see the target. The barrel is always pointed towards the traphouse.

8. oleolliedawg

Very simply, do not listen to people who do not shoot a release and know nothing about the proper function of a release trigger. They should refrain from making idiotic statements about something about which they know nothing. I think this shooter clarified this situation quite clearly when he stated it's not a safety issue as the gun is pointed safely down range when this problem occurs.

Those who are able to carry a AAA or AA with a pull trigger are shooters few and far between and I admire their ability. Are you one of those Mr.Devilsadvocate!!

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It is and always will be a saftey issue no matter where the gun is pointed if the shooter has a accidentel discharge due to not holding the release trigger. If you disagree with that OllieDawg than you need to go take a safety course.

Your statements in support of the shooter because the gun is pointed safely down range when the problem occurs goes to show that you will support a person who cannot control his weapon to bash at people who do not agree with you. You sir might need more than a safety lesson ... and I hope I never shoot on a squad with you because I would not feel safe being around shooters who follow your thoughts on what is and is not safe.

10. oleolliedawg

You're absolutely right Neubius. I'm sure a few Butterflies or perhaps a Grasshopper or two might have lost their lives during a premature discharge of that shooters weapon over the Traphouse. Sure can't compare to the shooter who lost a toe using a pull trigger at the PA State shoot awhile back.

You're right about one thing. I don't believe you're good enough to shoot with me on my squad!!

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sad ... so sad that anyone who would think that an accidental discharge of any type at all could be considered safe.

You are most assuredly one of the bad eggs of our sport OllieDawg.

12. oleolliedawg

Neubius, since you're so intelligent and a gifted shooter you might want to explain the difference between missing a target and striking air or letting go of the trigger and hitting the same. I suppose you believe molecules feel pain too!!

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

An adult, much like the person who started this admits he is having problems holding a release trigger where a person who does not desire to raise a flag as to there ability to safely handle a firearm will have excuses and reasons like you have.

If you cannot control all aspects of your weapon than you should not have a weapon in your hands and not being able to hold a release trigger is not having control of the weapon but ...

Your right Oleo ... and nobody should ever have any other viewpoints or thoughts other than yours. I bow at your feet and beg for merciful forgiveness from you.

14. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Is there something positive coming from all this or am I missing something here? Bunch of grown men taking shots at each other, come on gents, ease up and get along...

KK

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

KK ... couldn't agree more, that is why I have bowed at his feet begging to be forgiven by him.

16. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Send the trigger to person who made the release. Sounds as if the let off is worn and is too near the set pressure. Probably more than half of todays shooters would have to quit if release triggers were banned. Trap houses have been shot with both release and pull triggers and slam fires with pumps and semiautos and break guns. Thats why its point the gun down range when the gun is loaded. D Winter

17. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Shooter#1,

I suggest that you get the release trigger(s) checked out. As others have said, they may be out of adjustment.

Do you have a trigger pull gauge? If so, what is the set weight and the release weight of the trigger? There should be about 3 pounds difference for most shooters, IMO. If the release weight is greater than 2 pounds (32 ounces), then I suggest getting the release weight reduced to 2 pounds or less. You might even need to drop it down to about 1.5 pounds (24 ounces) in order to work well for YOU.

Easystreet

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Having been on squads where some shooter has problems with a release trigger....I make sure to NEVER be on a squad with THAT shooter.

Aside from safety...it sure raises hell with your concentration....wondering if he is going to do that again!

I remember an unfortunate day when one shooter shot the trap house at least once on each of the 1st 3 traps and as a finally, he shot the last trap house 4 times!
    The worst part is that he wound up with a 97 and the rest of us shot like crap, because of him!

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Each time it happens it should be scored as a loss.

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ahab It sounds like he had a plan and it must of work,t .

ALF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.