1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't get ammo? It's not the government!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Can

The ammo shortage is caused by the guy to your right and the guy to your left. Tell me?

How much 22LR ammo is the Federal government buying? How much 357 magnum, 44 magnum,38 special, 25 ACP, ETC ETC ETC....

For a long time center fire large rifle ammo was safe. Now you can't find that and people are hoarding stuff like 30-30 Winchester.

At 8:00 the local Wal-Mart puts out it's ammo supply for the day and the fool hoarders and profiteers are standing in a line at the sporting goods counter starting at 7:00PM waiting.

You want to see where all that ammo is going??? Just check gunbroker.com and look at the HUNDREDS of new people selling ammo. 90% are clearly the brands and quantity size boxes they sell at Walmart.

That my friends is where are your ammo is going.

As much as I love a good government conspiracy, the government is only buying a few calibers.

There is no shortage of ammo!! Just a shortage at a price that is reasonable. We have our friends and neighbors to thank for this. Not the government.Jeff

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I was surprised that at a local sporting goods supplier I stopped at on Friday they had a large supply of bulk powder,bullets,trap loads,shot and most ammunition,they had a sign up limiting per day purchases but prices were pretty normal,8lbs clays $125.99,federal top guns $54.99,magnum shot $36.99,speer 45acp 17.99/50rds the only thing that seemed in short supply was primers.Jerry PS and RR AR15's for $859 NIB I hope all the people who were gouging their fellow shooters choke on their over priced supply ;op

3. creek

creek Member

Before you make those statements you need to understand manufacturing; i.e. production scheduling, set ups and tear downs, etc. Shifting increased production to large government orders most certainly does affect production of other ammunition.

I realize the shortage continues now mostly due to hoarding, but it started with extreme government orders, adverly affecting other caliber production.

John

4. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I was at the Waukesha (WI) gun show last weekend and some vendor had some old Remington Golden Bullet 22 ammo that he wanted $90 a brick for. I told my buddy that we are sitting on a gold mine with all the ammo we have.

This is my take on the ammo shortage. When times were normal stores had a supply of "X" amount of stock. When they sold a small percentage of this stock they would order more. The manufacturers would be working normal shifts to supply the demand for normal sales reflecting the percentage of the stock all stores had. Now factor in that all stores sold out of all ammo. Instead of manufacturers replacing the percentage of all stores ammo they are replacing entire inventories of ammo. That's a tall task for any industry to handle. I know the manufacturers will eventually replace store inventories but it won't happen overnight.

Joe

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It will come back someday

The day after the election I ordered 2 cases or .22LR's from Cabela's and they were on back order even back then for 3 or 4 weeks

I just figured that zero would try something, plus just hedging against inflation, it was only a few years ago when a brick was $9-10 when I ordered them they were about $22

Better investment than gold

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Get ready for the repetitive strikes from the Hammerhead Sharks!

The funny thing is, who is going to go shoot off that ammo at a $1.00 a round, and .50 a .22 shell. You have to be pretty well off to go out and shoot off a 1000 rounds in a 1/2 hour now.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I understand that the production lines that make .22 long rifle ammo and shot shells have nothing to do with ammo for the Federal government.

Here is what Hornady has to say.

A Word on Availability

The current political climate has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products, including ours. Empty retail shelves, long backorders, and exaggerated price increases on online auction sites – all fueled by rumors and conjecture – have amplified concerns about the availability of ammunition and firearms-related items.

If the information you hear doesn’t originate from Hornady Manufacturing, don’t believe it.

Here are some of rumors we’ve heard, and questions we’ve received:
    •Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop? ?Not at all.

•Did you stop selling bullets so you could only make loaded ammunition? ?Absolutely not.

•Since we can’t find your product you must be selling it all to the government. ?Nope, less than 5% of our sales are to government entities.

•Why can’t you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines? ?We’ve been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We’ve added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible. If there is any question about that – please take a tour of the factory. You’ll be amazed at what you see.

We are producing as much as we can; much more than last year, which was a lot more than the year before, etc. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

We appreciate everyone’s understanding and patience. We don’t know when the situation will improve, so please bear with us a little longer. And remember, when it comes to Hornady Manufacturing, if you don’t hear it from us, please don’t believe it.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Today in the local Wal-Mart a dumpy unknowledgeable sales lady says: "They're regulating it" when I asked where all the 22 LR ammo was.

I asked "who?"

She said "the government".

Unbelievable. I think I should call the manager and pursue this. People that make uninformed statements are what starts the BS rumors.

HM

9. beretta-guy

beretta-guy TS Member

The shortage of ammo has nothing to do with the Governement. In fact, ammo consumption has gone drastically down in recent years as we pull out of Iraq and Afganistan.

The government owns it it's own ammo facility. Lake City. It comes up for bid for ammo companies to run it for them and Federal/ATK typically underbids to ensure they win. That facility can make more .223 and .308 than you can dream of.

There are no "extreme" Governement orders for ammo. It's your neighbors and shooting bretherand that are driving the shortages. Nothing more.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

HM,

She must be reading the political section of this site.

11. oz

oz Active Member

I guess DHS buying 300 MILLION plus rounds per year is chump change. They buy 1000 more rounds per employee than our soldiers get per man/woman.

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

CREEK------is 100% right on the $

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

oz, try a different source....

14. alf174

alf174 Member

One reason: In the metal commodities markets, middlemen are hoarding to increase their buy-sell spread. There has been several media reports about it.

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

OZ... What part of the ammo does not even come from the same factory are you having trouble with?Jeff

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

It would seem some senators feel the government is responsible....

http://freebeacon.com/gop-bill-seeks-to-cut-back-government-ammo-purchases/

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Feel good legislation from the right. It does come from the right as well. Jeff

18. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

The military does have it's own ammo production facilities. However, it may be argues the DHS, Obama's alleged personal army gets their ammo orders from the same LC source. I don't think LC makes much 40 S&W HP that I hear is included in the order. Just something to make ya wonder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.