1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't decide on what powder to use ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoke-um, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Can

Can't decide on best powder to use for all three events in trap I'm looking to load one shell 1175 to 1180 fps. 1-1/8 7 1/2 STS hull figure 8 wad win. primer need consistent drop charge and low recoil ? Help please

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

1 1/8 oz you will never get low recoil.....

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Green Dot

I use:

Remington Hull<br>
    Winchester 209 Primer<br>
    19.3 grains Green Dot<br>
    DownRange Fig8 wad <br>
    1 1/8oz of 7.5 or 8's

4. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Ive been looking at green dot does it meter consistently i also have heard it is pretty dirty any comments ?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have good luck with it dropping consistently. As for being dirty, it can be especially if loaded to its very low end. I think the load I posted above burns fairly clean and is at least consistent with many other powders I've tried. That load also fits right in the speed range you requested. I think it's a pretty darn smooth shooting load as well.

6. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

One of my fav loads .... is just what you are looking for. Recoil isnt too bad and clean burning. The powder is a little pricey though. Chrono's about 1185.

Rem Gun Club, 500 gr 7.5 West Coast, Noble (or Win) primer, Rem F8 wad, 19.7-20.0 gr Int Clays

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What Matt said. Green Dot meters well, keep pressures up and it is as clean as most powders. Green Dot is all I use for my 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads.

Some people will say GD is not good in cold weather, however I've never had a problem in NE Indiana.

Wayne

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

With Rem/Rem and <1200fps, you have a world of choices.

The *cleanest* would be Solo 1000, e3, AS or 20/28.

The dots are dirtier but more popular than all others, combined. Promo is cheapest, of course.

It would be hard to argue against 700-X, or Clays if you are a Hodgdon fan.

Bob

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

23 gr of Unique would be a low pressure, mild shooting load. Not the cleanest.

10. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I use Green Dot from 1 1/8 all the way to 7/8 loads. With a Fed209A it performs well in all loads. As for dirty, it takes about a minute to clean a shotgun barrel regardless of how "dirty" the powder is. I'll take performance and versatility over clean any day.

11. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

"Clean Burning" is a relative concept, and one that stirs up way too much debate among Trap shooters IMO. In a break open gun it's a non-issue in my personal experience, in a gas operated gun it might be a different story.

12. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

If I had only one powder to choose from, it would be Clays. Has served me well for well over 20 years now. On the pattern board it's great from 1oz to 1 1/8oz.
    There are many other great powders out there but this is my choice.

Mike C.

13. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I too am in the Clays camp for 16 to 22 yards.
    A clean burning, temperature tolerant powder that meters well.
    For the back fence distances, I like WSH.
    Art

14. oz

oz Active Member

I could not get clays a few years ago. I bought tirewad for about $15 LESS than clays. It was fine and used less powder per shell. I just bought clays again because I could not get titewad. go figure. I have a jug of universal that I bought for 20 gauge. 20 gauge is gone. universal works for heavy 12 gauge loads plus .45,10mm, 38 357 and who knows what else.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

Smoke um, I am using Clay Dot. 1 1/8oz with sts hulls, fig 8 wad, and Fiocchi primers. Mild recoil and pretty clean. I use this load for 16s and handi. I am also a fan of Green dot and Red dot, lots of good powder options for the load you are looking to make.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Everyone has a preference of what works best for them and therefore there are no bad choices; however, if I only use one powder I would use Green Dot. It gets the job done from both the 16 and long yardage handicap. If recoil is an issue Green Dot is an excellent powder. BT100dc

18. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Green Dot is a very good powder. The published loads perform very well. My only gripe is a layer of grey dust that develops on my loader and that it generally leaves that same grey residue behind when you shoot it too. Both on my gun and on hulls. I think that tends to cause the hulls to lose a loading or two because of the burnt residue.

International Clays has nearly the same properties as Green Dot and is MUCH cleaner, both on the reloader and in the gun. I also see that I can get more loads out of my hulls with Int'l Clays.

19. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Clays/Claydot 1oz and 7/8oz Trap/Skeet
    Green Dot 1-1/8oz Caps/SC/5-stand

IMHO there is no one powder fits all.

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Green Dot, though I always wanted to try Unique.

Bob Falfa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.