1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon G10 or Canon SX20is ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BAD 303, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Any of you camera buffs have any experience with these two cameras(G10 and SX20 is)? I am looking for a good camera for outdoor use(hunting pics)as well as a camera to take pics for things i have to sell on here. Thanks in advance.
  2. oz

oz Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have the sx20is and it is great. they have a new one sx30is that is the same but has a 35x zoom. that's the one I would get. oz
  3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    All the information on both the 20 and 30 IS Cameras are available at the Canon website.

The web addresses are for the Sx20 IS,

For the SX30 IS,

I have both Cameras and prefer the 30. First of all for the battery system the 20 uses AA batteries. The 30 uses a Lithium-ion Battery Pack # NB-7L(rechargeable). More expensive but more efficient. There are other small changes that make the 30 a better Camera IMO.

Bob Lawless
  4. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I have the SX200IS and think it is great. 12mp & 12x zoom with rechargeable lithiom-ion battery pack and large view screen. I felt that it was a close to having an SLR with out the bulkiness.It also does HD video. There are a lot of great camera's out there and I bought mine because I felt it was the best bang for the buck at the time.

5. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I have a G10 and it is a great camera. It takes very good pictures. Very sharp and good color. The exposure control wheel on the top is very handy since I usually use -1/3 or -2/3 stop and kick up the color saturation to vivid. For a point of reference I also own Nikon D2Xs, D300 and various other small cameras. For a non-action subject in good light at medium focal lengths, the G10 will take as good a picture as anything I have.
  6. Ray Courney

Ray Courney TS Member

Jun 19, 2010
    The G10 is a fantastic camera if you are already photo smart or are willing to devote the time to learn, I have been adjusting my shutter speed and aperture for over 50 years, but find my G9 (very similar to G10) difficult to use. I can still handle my EOS1 pro cameras but the G10 is not as instinctive. If you just want to be a casual photographer try something else.

Shooting is a peace of cake compared to using this camera. Have Fun -- Ray
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.