1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cannot line up beads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Beancounter, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

trap junkie - what is your point of impact? figure 8 stuff is also urban legend. forget where the beads, where does the gun shoot?

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

lower the comb or raise the rib.

if you need them to line up then add on a rib.

3. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Jim,
    Shoot the gun first. If you are hitting targets, dont worry about the fig 8. If you are missing targets, then you are left with your solution to lower the comb. Be careful when shaving this particular comb. There is a limited amount of space between the top of the pin hole and the surface of the comb. You will break through into this hole and ruin the comb piece. If you do, dont worry. Its all replaceable, but not without some $$$. Also, shave in small increments. 1/8 inch added drop makes a bunch or rib disappear. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

4. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Jim,
    Wildcat has another great option with the add-on rib suggestion. If you dont want to cut comb, 1/2 add-on will do the trick. Todd

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Todd;

You need to put your URL in the format of mine, above. The "http://" is necessary to make the URL an active link.

Rollin

6. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

what about repositioning the middle bead?

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ignore the beads and check the POI. If it's where it's supposed to be, lining up the beads is simply cosmetic. Spend the money and the time if you feel like it, but don't make any adjustments until you have put it on paper. Remove the middle bead if it bothers you.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- You are really asking about how to get a stock to fit you. Two of the very best stock fitters around have responded to your question (Todd and Rollin). I suggest two options. One, make an appointment with Todd. He travels to many of the larger shoots and helps many shooters. Secondly, buy Rollin's book.

Todd's father (Todd always called him daddy) helped me a lot when he told me that with my inconsistent gun mount there is not too much a stock fitter can do for me. I have read Rollins book several times and each time I learn something new.

On the original question about the space between the mid and front beads, it can be more complicated than just comb height. Decreasing the length of the stock will move your head forward and often cause you to tip your head forward a bit. This will decrease the space between the beads. Also, increasing the LOP can cause you to hold your head more erect increasing the space between the beads. Changing your gun mount and leaving everything else alone can also change the relationship between the beads.

Last Sunday I was rolling along and easily broke the first 75 birds with a little space between my mid bead and the front sight. I got lazy on the fourth field and missed one. I got disgusted with myself and mounted my gun very firmly for the next bird, my middle sight came well into my front sight and the poor next bird did not have a chance. My problem was not the relation between the sights, it was keeping my gun into my face.

Pat Ireland

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Patern gun, get to shooy where you want it, and forget it

10. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I have a similar problem with a flat shooting Browning Combo TS. Fortunately the Service center has decided to replace my barrel. They are designed to shoot 9 inches high at 40 yards plus or minus 3 inches and if they dont, or it takes seeing a yard of rib and space between the beads to make solid hits then perhaps its time for a talk with them. They are treating me better than well.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

This has been discussed at length here perviously, but certainly not inappropriate to inquire.

The idea of a "Figure 8" is old wives tale talk. I first head this in the 70's when I started shooting ATA. Good thing I never listened to it. Ray Stafford took my first trap gun and made it shoot.

What you want is a gun that shoots a POI that fits you. You should not even be looking at the beads once the gun fits you. You only shoot off the front bead to the target.

You'd faint holding my P gun up because there are about 10-15 bead heights between my two beads. It has kept me on the 27 yard line for over 30 years.

IMHO

WW

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Do't worry about the beads. I took mine off.

13. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

The best advice as listed above is not to get hung up on beads and figure 8's. Use the front bead at the pattern board for POI. You may be pleasantly surprised.

14. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

I was cleaning my gun a couple of weeks ago and noticed the front bead was gone......I have no idea how long it has been gone, and continue to shoot without it.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If the gun has really pretty wood you should go to a plastic surgeon and have your cheekbone raised...or you can just sell it to me and buy another gun that fits better

16. hairy

hairy TS Member

I guess some of us are different. I like my beads, I like them to form a nice figure 8, and at least it seems to me, that I see my beads when I'm shooting at the target. The gunmakers must think they're important or they wouldn't put them on there.

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Getting back to trap junkie's question. If you get rid of the space you will make the gun shoot lower so that's where you should start. You have to decide if you really do want the gun to shoot lower.

I like patterning off a rest at 13 yards, but you could lock a trap on straightaways and shoot targets and get at least some information. If the bird breaks best when you have the front bead where you want, you can't do anything except add a rib which is a high price to pay for something of limited usefulness, since I shoots where you want now anyway.

If you get the best breaks by shooting more under the bird than you like, then rasp the comb lower, but understand that just as Rollin advises, you may need more cast-off all of a sudden. His message: when you change one thing you often change a lot of things, including some you don't want to change, is dead on.

If you can't stand the view then just resign yourself to the fact that you are going to end up messing up, cosmetically, the gun in at least one, perhaps several ways, and make your decision. I myself get the file out and go to work.

Neil

18. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

My take on this is the non-bead advisors are all experts, have consistent mounts and the gun really shoots where they are looking. Those of us that like beads are beginners and need that fig-8 alignment to help us consistently mount the gun, kind of like training wheels on bicycles. So when do we take the training wheels off? When we no longer have to look at the beads to check our mounts, when we can mount the gun with our eyes closed and when opening our eyes, see the beads line up. Currently, I use mine to help me keep from canting the gun (Citori XT) and throwing the lower barrel off. I found this problem using Neil's technique (Thanks for publishing it Neil!) of POI testing at 13yds.

Lastly, the experts here tend to shoot their targets much more quickly than us newbies and they seem to tend toward guns that shoot higher because the target is rising faster in the initial phases of flight. I've seen some shooters so quick, it seems the target has just come out of the blurred phase when the shooter nails it into an ink splat. I'm a long way from that.

Mike

Still working on that first 25 straight.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Neil, one of your classic question quotes I haven't seen in some time, "are you shooting it for re-sale or to break targets?" (quoted close enough) may fit here also. Hap

20. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I am not familar with the Citori Plus rib. Does "front of rib in lower hole" mean that you can raise the front of the rib a hole or more? If you raise the front sight leaving everthing else the same, that will lower your POI.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.