1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cancun Fishing trip

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MIke W., Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIke W.

MIke W. TS Member

My Better half and I are going to Cancun, Mexico the 2nd week of April. Has any of y'all ever been fishing down there and if so can you recomend a good decient charter that wont expolde my wallet

Thanks

Mike...

2. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

My other passion besides trap shooting is scuba diving and more especially diving with a speargun and shooting big fish. I ve done this quite a bit around the world , 3 tpips in 2007 to Puerto Morelos, Q. , a little fishing village, 20 miles south of Cancun. Look up a man by the name of Paul Hensley. He has a dive operation but also charters, fishing trips with rod and reel, really nice guy and even if he didnt have what you were looking for i m sure he could recommend the right captain.
    Check out his web site for contact info. Wetset.com

Hope this helps,

Gary

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Honestly-I wouldn't set foot in Mexico for anything, guys got robbed last year dove hunting. Lots of other places to fish & dive---would you go on a hiking trip in Afghanistan ? If you guess wrong, you lose big time--risk vs reward

Phil Berkowitz

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love Mexico trips but I am with Phil on this one

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

You are safer in Cancun that in most if not all of the United States. That does not go for most of the rest of Mexico. As for fishing, about 6 years ago I went on one of the 6 hour trips that was arranged though the hotel I stayed at. We fished for a mix, but caught tuna, trigger fish, barracuda, red snapper, yellow snapper, grouper, and a wahoo. The boat supplied the beer and it was only $95 US plus a tip. Now this was not a fantastic luxary boat but it was sea worthy.

We had 6 people and there were 2 seats to fish from. We took turns. On this one there were 2 Mexicans that actually rigged everything up and normally hooked the fish. You basically reeled them in. Believe me it sounds easier than it was especially with the Wahoo, I thought my arm was going to fall off before we got it in the boat.

There are other trips that are a little higher that go out further that allow you to catch sail fish. Most of these are cheap in price by US standards.

I would go again in a minute when I go back to Cancun.

6. esetter

esetter Active Member

I just returned last week from a little town twenty minutes from Cancun and I have to say it was one of the best non-hunting vacations I have ever been on. I felt much safer than walking around any major city and was treated with respect everywhere I went. We stayed at EL Cid resort and marina and it was first class all the way. Walked into the little town and hooked up with a local fisherman and he took me out for half day of fishing and snorkeling for $95. Nothing fancy but we caught barracuda and Grunt fish and the snorkeling was great. The cost for the entire trip with airfare, all meals, all drinks, and a luxury room was $1300 for 7 nights including pick up at the airport, and this place was beautiful. I would go back in a minute.

I wouldn't go to a border town right now, but all of these tourist towns know their incomes are at stake and they take great pains to see that you are safe and well taken care of. I go to Angler's Inn in Mazatlan every year bass fishing and it is my favorite trip of the year and I have never felt the least bit scared. Just my two cents worth.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We were in a taxi 20 miles out of cancun and got stopped and robbed. Trust me, it is not that safe

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You want good fishing....go to the Keys. Mid-April is prime time for tarpon in the backwater, out front is full of dolphin, plus the reef's are loaded.

Wouldn't spend anything in Mexico.

Curt

9. 1oz

1oz Member

I know some that went to Mexico went out had a great day fishing decided to go again had to get another charter woke up next morning to no boat no captain or crew and no refund money. Just aint worth going down there now days . I refuse to support that country and i use to go to Cancun ,Cozumel and Cabo San Lucas on a yearly bases. Just isn't worth it.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'd be paying more attention about the Mexican drug cartels activity.. Not only they are killing in Cancun but most of the major resort areas also.....

11. esetter

esetter Active Member

I think if you check the number of American tourists that are killed in Mexico you would be shocked at how low the number is compared to the number of tourists that come to America and get mugged and shot. How many tourists do you think are mugged in New York City every day?

I don't like the illegal aliens coming into our country either, but I don't think it is fair to label Mexico as a bad place to spend your vacation. I've been there the last four years at least once a year and had nothing but positive experiences. Great bang for the buck and very pleasant, hard working people trying very hard to make a decent living for their families.

12. MIke W.

MIke W. TS Member

Love the comments and stories....keep it up....ttt

13. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Good luck !!!! When you leave this turf all your rights are gone for good till you return. Being murdered is not the worst that can happen to you or your wife. There are many parts of the world I have come to realize that I will never see and that is ok with me. Yes, bad things happen here too, but I am usually armed and would atleast have a small chance to survive.

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

For 30 years I have had one dream that when finances would allow I would go out of the states dove hunting.. I can only think of one thing that rates above shooting doves and I probably shouldnt post that here.. lol.. 3 things have changed my mind..Osama bin Laden.. Natalie Holloway.. and the Mexican drug lords.. good luck on your trip..

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I made up my mind many years ago-no vacations in third world countries--if you go cheap, you get what you paid for---many years ago I was marlin fishing off of Acapulco, hooked up a 430 lb fish--it was almost a life threatening extortion--the boat capt & mate just about demanded that I pay for a taxidermy that neither my wife or myself wanted. The only thing that probably saved us was the fact that the boat was chartered thru the Acapulco Princess, which was a first class hotel @ that time.

It could be the most expensive vacation in your life.

Phil Berkowitz

16. warren

warren Member

Please give us a report when you get back and let us know how it was, I've never been there but I have several other places in Mexico and frankly did not enjoy it that much. I'd also be interested to know just what they do to you and your wife before you get on the airplane. I'm not sure just what I would do if some moron felt up my wife because they thought she was a terroist.

warren

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Gerry--er a Esetter----- has it right. We go to cabo twice a year to fish for Rooster fish and Dorado as well as many other species off the surf and from charter boats and we love it there. He is exactly right ----- the people there are really hard working honest folks who desire you to have a great trip and keep coming back.

When you go take a little time to honestly meet the locals. We have NEVER been treated or felt like an outsider while in Cabo. Almost with out exception this has been the case however you have to treat them in the same manner. The Americans attitudes are a the ones out of place there not the Mexicans. You'd be surprised to find out how many have left the US for a better way of life in Cabo San Lucas. IT is a FACT!

Do yourself a favor and check out Grant Hartmans web site at Baja Anglers--just google baja anglers and you can see some of the photos.

Fact is I wish I was back there now. Went in early December and had a great time catching mid size Roosters and some real nice do do's. One week is just never enough! Phil Simms Stockmaker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.