1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canceled my newspaper today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Canceled my newspaper today after 40 yrs---Can't stand the LIB view day after day---I had it---They lost me for good---I'll get my news from Fox,Rush and the net.
    Will never view the likes of the Hollywood crowd either any more---They have to be crazy thinking that they will lose 1/2 the country in time to listen and watch their LIB BS---I don't think I am the only one---JMO---George

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

You are a little late to join me---I told the lib paper here to shove it several years ago.

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

DITTO 10 years ago.

4. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

Good for you. Be sure and let them know why you cancelled. Newspapers are a dying business, and are doing everything they can to stay afloat. Generally that means selling out to the liberal dollars.

5. tachyon

tachyon Member

Newspapers are dying. I was in the publishing business for a lot of my career. The last 6 months circulation of the top 100 newspapers was down 8.7% which is better than the first 6 months of 2010 which was down more than 10%.

Ad revenue is down, classified advertising is being killed by craigs list, ebay and other online options. Their liberal bias is one of their problems but overall they are dinosaurs and although they may not become totally extinct their voice in the national debate is pretty muted.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

In the midst of this newspaper crisis there might be a golden opportunity for someone. I get online news every day but I still like to relax and read a newspaper. I'm sure I'm not alone. Far more people identify themselves as conservative than liberal. Most people are politically in the middle and simply want a return to old fashioned journalism in their newspaper (i.e. truthful, well-researched news without opinion or shameless slant/spin). So there is no reason for newspapers to continue shooting themselves in the foot with yellow journalism and pushing their personal leftist agendas. Conservative to moderate radio and TV is far more successful than liberal TV or radio (liberal radio barely even exists anymore). If newspapers accept reality, learn the lesson, and start operating like real businesses maybe they can stop the hemmorhaging.

-Gary

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not that you would want to, but likely the paper you quit has an online site so you can get it for free anyway. I went through the same thing, about 8 years ago. We buy the rag on Sundays for the coupons and that's it. Heck, the "editorial page" is nothing but those morons pirated from the New York Times. Good luck.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

For at least 20 years my answer to attempts to get me to sign up at the paper (2 different cities/states) I just say "Sure, just get rid of the editor, start reporting both sides of political matters, and I'll sign up." They really stammer on that while admitting they had no control over the Editor and I tell them, "Well, then don't call during Fox News!"

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Did you ever think of the hard working people you may be putting out a job . Just like this site , you don`t have to read the headlines you don`t like .

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

111---Yes I do feel sorry for my carrier---Left her a nice Xmas gift but I'm tired of supporting the left wing---I put up with their BS for 40 yrs and I will do anything I can to stuff it to them---I'll find a way to help support the right wing who needs jobs--This site don't cost me $$s so I can pick and choose--I'll leave the LEFT to support their own---JMO-George

11. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

If I didn't read anything I didn't like, well that would be roughly the whole paper, besides the ads of course. And the liberal/progressive in the room rears their ugly head, trying to make me feel sad about libs being idiots. How about the owners of papers putting people out of work by continuing to promote their progressive agenda through the bastardization of journalism. A minimally intelligent business operator might see how their business model is failing and then change something. But these people will continue to drive their papers into the ground in the name of their failed progressive utopia ideal. If they could honestly, factually and fully report a story without the liberal puke, people just might read it and they might sell a few more papers. Every time I walk by one of those people pimping their paper in a shopping center I tell them they would need to pay me to read their liberal rag. These papers deserve everything they are getting!

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

its been researched that in gerneral most colleges teach with a liberal agenda.
    This is the reason the biggest percentag of the news slant to the lib's side.
    Their not taught to use common sense but to be lead like sheep and don't as questions.

13. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

ljutic111………..with that kind of logic, guess you would want “US” to vote for Barry Hussein O, just so some can keep thier government job……some logic, I think not… Grubby

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We canceled the weekly about 5 yrs ago, but it's tough dragging the 'puter into the library LOL

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

About three and a half years ago, one of the senior editors of our local newspaper (the Patriot-News, published in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's capitol city) contacted me about writing a bi-weekly column on local gun club activities and the shooting sports in general. Three months later, they hired a new sports editor who just happened to be from Philthadelphia (Paul Vigna, in case any of you Philly boys might know the name). By the end of his first month on the job, he had axed my column and every freelance column that wasn't about the Phillies, Flyers, 76ers or Eagles.

I told him I would bet him that there are more hunters and firearms enthusiasts in central Pennsylvania than there are bowlers and that there are more local gun clubs than bowling alleys in the area. He declined the bet but bowling still gets a full page three times a week.

Gee, do ya think Paul might be an anti-gun bowler?

Ed

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Hey guys don`t get me wrong . I`m not a Lib or a Hussein lover . I was a sheet metal worker and did a lot of work at newspaper plants mainly the Star Ledger in Parsipany and Newark NJ as well as the one in Piscataway NJ and these people all need jobs as well as I did at the time . Some of my friend also worked the early mornings dropping the papers off at stops before they started their work day . A member of out Trap club is also a person working for the New York Post (?) I think as a delivery drop driver and in the $$ collection dept . A lot of good a $20 gift will do for your carrier when he or her is out of a job as well as the printers and many other workers at the plants . You drop the paper but check it out on the internet every day . Write to the paper and express your opinions if you feel so almighty . If you guys can`t see past you nose or wallet then your the hipocrites . Help this country and stop buying the Chinese shit coming into this country with foreign vessels . No, your kids and grandkids need theat stuff for birthdays and Xmas . Put the foreign workers out of a job , not ours . I get a yearly subscription of the Home News delivered every day and chose what I want to read as well as on this site .

17. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I have cancelled my newpaper subscription for another reason. For one thing the paper was a republican rag. Secondly the coverage of the local news was only what the republican editors wanted the public to be informed of.It wasn't liberal in any sense of the word. Lastly this paper was dedicated to sports and sports only. The Sunday edition of the paper would have a sports section that was as large as the rest of the paper. If one were to look at any days edition of the paper and take out the AP stories and adds and sports what was covered by the local reporters wouldn't be two pages of paper. The daily price of the paper was seventy five cents and the Sunday news cost a buck fifty. They can't give them away in this area. Dan

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

111---I received two different papers delivered for many yrs---I kept the one that was more equal in political issues---That one is on thin ice also---
    I do everything I can to avoid supporting anything liberal---If I take your advice I guess I should subscribe to 5 papers---I am just finishing a remodeling job in one of my houses and you make me laugh---Try buying anything made in America---The unions outreached their welcome with prices that won't compete with that China shixx you mention---From the tile to the new TV theres not anything made in the USA---I would love to support American made goods.
    The steel mills are out of business because of the unions---Make sure your nxt sheet metal job uses only material made in the USA---Don't be hypercritical---
    You just walk off the job if the stuff comes from another country---You'll show em.Oh and by the way,90% of the work done was by Mexicans. My conctractor couldn't find workers to stay within his bid.Heres another one--I wanted to put in a wood burning stove---The guys that were going to install the chimney
    wanted $250.00 overtime to work on Friday---Guess what--They stayed home and watched TV or something else---Their pockets are full---Thats the American union
    mentality---The Mexicans would work on Sunday through the night if there were lights and they were all legal Americans---Thanks for listening---George

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

ljutic111, Yes, that does come to mind. What got me started doing what I said was this. The local paper at the time had a thorough report on gun stories, their use in local crime, and the ease that one can obtain "automatic guns". The interview included a local policeman that I knew well and knew that he would not have made the error to say how every Tom, Dick, and bozo can buy "automatic guns". I was bothered sufficiently to call the newspaper and ask for the writer of the piece. After she afforded me the 20 minutes or so explaining the many incorrect innuendoes in her piece and especially how the term "automatic guns" was used and patently false since possession of automatic weapons by the general public was totally banned since the 1930s, she finally admitted that the officer DID NOT use that term, she DID NOT include those terms in her original piece, but that is how the story went out after the piece was reviewed by her editor. I thanked her for her honesty and said that I'd be canceling my newspaper with a detailed letter, and got off her back. I would not work for such a system and must do what I can to insist on honesty from any paper I choose to pay for.......BDodd

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Bob , I applaude your honesty of why you dropped the newspaper . Unfortunately she was to blame and they as owners don`t have the resourses or knowledge to check all the writers that give the information to them . Your letter to the editor is whats needed to dump those who want to just get headlines added to the local paper by filling them with their own views and not the real truth . I hope she was fired for her inaccurate report .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.