1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

    Joe Woods Well-Known Member

    Jan 29, 1998
    Concerning ATF 6 ---- Which is the best -- Shoot invitation or Hunting Licence.

    After travelling to US shoots since 1975. Using a hunting licence seems irregular. But what ever works.
    I have used ATA invitation letter, seems to work !!

    Joe Woods/Ontario
  2. Joe Potosky

    Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

    Jan 29, 1998
    The ATA invitation seems to work well, as does shoot invitations from various clubs. (A shoot flyer by itself is not legal).

    However, technically they only allow you to attend shoots; not visit visit clubs for non-events or to drop over the border anytime you wish, to visit a gun smith, target practice at a friends house, decide to go hunting, etc.

    A club could really punch up the invitation to give a shooter more latitude for it's club. An example is posted to the Form 6 section of my site.

    The person working the border may or may not allow some latitude, if the shooter is only using an invitation, but has other plans. So, you may have an approved ATF Form NIA 6, but it may not be legal for what you plan on using it for.

    Each shooter has to make his or her own decision on what route to take, especially when it comes to crossing the border and afterword. If there is any incident in the states where they may have to explain (justify) why they have a firearm in there possession, as you entered with a shoot invitation to attend a shoot and are not attending a shoot...

    If your doing more than attending shoots, than a hunting license may be the way to go.

    Using the stateside hunting license option allows the shooter to cross the border with his/her approved firearm and ammunition for any reason, not just to attend shoots, at any time for one year from date of approval (and a valid license is in possession of the shooter).

    For those with additional questions, visit the posted link.
  3. broadway

    broadway Member

    Jan 29, 1998
    My friends and I have used the ATA Canadian Letter for the last 4 years with very little problems.

    We entered the US via Newark, NJ last summer to attend the Eastern Zone in Elysburg, PA and no one even asked for the Form 6. On the way out though security looked everything over - actually got a harder time from the Canadian customs officer upon arrival in Canada. Even had to show him where the serial number was.

    Problems with the ATF also appears to depend on the agent processing your form. One of my friends spent the winter in Florida and his approval was held up until he sent in an invitation from a club.

    A. Bassan
    Torbay, Newfoundland
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.