1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CANADIAN SHOOTERS - URGENT REQUEST!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ontariogal, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

This is an important message to all Canadian trapshooters who wish to assist Kenny Ray Estes, Museum Director of the ATA Trapshooting Hall of Fame, in his quest and committment to raise the profile of Canada's rich history in our sport.

As you know, he will be attending The 2008 Canadian and will be setting up an exhibit of Canadian memorabilia in The Hamilton Gun Club clubhouse. When he is not shooting, he would very much like to chat with anyone who would like to learn more about Canada's contributions and legends in trapshooting, as well as with those who can personally share with him information or show him items that will help him document Canada's illustrious trapshooting past!

Please bring with you to the tournament any historical documents, photographs, memorablia, etc. that you believe will be of interest to the ATA Trapshooting Hall of Fame in this regard. Time to go thru your attics, gun rooms, family scrapbooks, and old tournament files!

Or, if you personally are related to or know of a Canadian trapshooter who has left their mark (and I don't mean on the traphouse!) as part of Canada's legacy in trapshooting, be sure to let him know!

For your future reference, Kenny Ray can be reached by calling The Trapshooting Hall of Fame in Ohio at (937) 898-4638, extension 528 or by emailing him at hof@shootata.com.

Your contributions and knowledge for preserving and perpetuating Canadian Trapshooting history will be greatly appreciated! On behalf of Kenny Ray and Canadian trapshooters everywhere, thanks.

Barbara Sheldon - Producer/Director of Marketing and Promotion -
    The 2008 Canadian

2. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Steve - got your voicemail - thanks for your support.
    Yes, I think Kenny Ray may quite interested in that - please bring it and do keep digging - there may be more in your dad's old reloading room!
    b.

3. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

5. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I am hopeful that my visit to the Canadian Championships will raise the level of interest of anyone possessing even the slightest allure for trapshooting history. And in my opinion, Canada's history is as rich as they come.

I will be grateful to those who would consider bringing a piece or two of trapshooting memorabilia for "show & tell" so that others may enjoy seeing interesting objects from the past. No doubt I'll learn something too!

Here are a few tidbits you may find interesting.

The great Captain A. H. Bogardus was beaten by the Canadian Champion, James Ward, at Toronto, in 1871. The match was at 100 snowbirds.

The Programme of Annual Tournament of the St. Hubert Gun Club, of Ottowa, Ontario, Thursday, 24th May, 1888 listed the following officers: President, P. N. Thompson; First Vice-President, E. Lemieux; Second Vice President, G. White; Treasurer, J. N. Deslauries; Secretary, L. N. Fortier; Curator of Museum, E. White; Field Captain, A. W. Throop. Committee: - Alex Jacques, R. W. Stephen, J. C. Tache, L. A. Des Rosiers, R. G. Dalton.

In 1894, William C. Donaldsen, of Windsor, received patent # 525,317 for a target magazine attachment that would allow the puller to load a target on the carrier arm, shift the position of the arm in any direction and do these things from the point where the shooters stands.

In December 1899, Canadian Professional Thomas Donley, of St. Thomas, held his 3rd annual tournament in St. Thomas, Ontario with a guaranteed purse of $1600.

The Hamilton Gun Club held their 10th annual tournament and Grand Canadian Handicap in January 16-19 1900. Professionals were barred from all events except the $200 guaranteed purse.

H. D. Bates, of Ridgetown, won the 1900 Grand American Handicap at live birds, in Queens, Long Island, New York. Mr. Bates killed 25 straight and shot out 7 men. One of the seven was the 1897 & 1899 GAH Champion, Thomas Marshall, of Keithsburg, Illinois.

John Stroud, of Hamilton, later defeated H. D. Bates in a match at 100 live birds, 30 yards rise, for $100 a side.

A trapshooting tournament was featured as part of the 1916 Canadian National Exhibition and the traps overlooked Lake Ontario.

In July 1936, the 31st annual tournament of the Canadian Indians was held at Pinafore Park, St. Thomas. Mrs. Dunn, of St. Thomas was high gun in the 10-target event for women.

George Genereux, of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, won the silver medal at the 1951 World Championships at Oslo, Norway and a gold medal at the 1952 Olympic Clay Pigeon championship at Helsinki, Finland. He used a Canuck load 2-3/4x3x7-1/2. Mr. Genereux was inducted into the THOF in 1986.

Paul Lemlin, Montreal, won the Province of Quebec trapshooting championship at the first registered Quebec Province tournament sponsored by Montreal Anglers and Hunters Inc., at O'Connell Field, Dorval, April 24, 1955.

Ontariogal has a nice spot picked out for me and my display so please stop by and introduce yourself. Let's talk about Canada's trapshooting history.

Regards,

Kenny Ray

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I sent some information to Kenny Ray early this week and he has already given me some information back. His display should be very interesting. Bill Malcolm

7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Thank you Kenny Ray for your most interesting findings about Canadian Trap shooting history. Having been to both the St. Thomas and Hamilton clubs, I certainly enjoyed seeing so much history about them.

See you in a month, Dave in NY

8. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Noticed you on presquad.com. Look forward to seeing you again.

Joe Woods/Ontario

9. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

10. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Thanks to all of you who have written and called the 2008 Canadian hotline (877-809-9995) regarding your antique guns, documents, collectibles and memorabilia.

I don't know if Kenny Ray will be able to put a dollar value on your trapshooting artifacts but I am pretty sure he will be interested in viewing most of what you've told me about! As for donations to the museum, whether it be items or funds, both of which can assist in presenting and preserving Canadian trapshooting history - this is a discussion you must and should have with Kenny Ray!

Keep diggin' folks - and please bring your historical information and items to the tournament - Kenny Ray is anxious and excited to meet all of you!

Thanks,
    b.

11. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

UP FOR CANADA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.