1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Pipeline

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by timberfaller, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

It makes "sense" that's why the Eco-freaks are against it!!

They are running around right now trying to get a plant put on the "endangered species list" that grows in the planned route of the pipeline!!

The next Tea Party fight should be to throw out the ESA "Endangered Species Act"

Its was passed to appease the riotous college students back in 1973 with no scientific research or data to back it up. Most of the senator's who voted for it are on record that "they wished they had never voted for it"

If you want this country to get back to "work" it will only happen if Politicians scrap the EPA and the ESA!!!

If you disagree, you'd better educate your self on what's been shutting down our industries over the last 40 years!!

Oh Ya, the eco-freak movement, came out of our own government school system. That will stir up some of you liberals here!! who believe that we have the best colleges of "higher education" ever!!

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The US better act soon on this project because the Chinese would be more then happy to pay for a pipeline that goes west to the Pacific ocean.

3. tj303

tj303 Member

Why not build the refinery in Canada or close to Canada? We need more refining capacity. When was the last time a refinery was built in the US? How much has consumption gone up since then?

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Could have sworn there was a refinery in Newcastle, Wyoming. Expand that one.

HM

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

EPA has prevented building and expansion of refineries for the last couple decades. It is easier to go off shore or out of country to build a new refinery.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Republicans and business leaders are urging President Obama to turn talk of creating jobs into action by green-lighting a long-delayed $7 billion expansion of a Canada-to-Texas oil pipeline that supporters say will create 20,000 jobs.

The proposed 1,700-mile Keystone XL pipeline, which would deliver Canadian crude from the oil sands of Alberta to Gulf Coast refineries, can’t go forward without the president’s approval through the State Department’s permitting process, where it has been stuck for three years in part because of environmental concerns.

TransCanada, the Canadian oil company behind the project, said the pipeline extension, which could carry as many as 1.1 million barrels of oil a day, will ease American dependence on supplies from the unstable Middle East.

“We could help reduce the amount of imports from the Middle East,” said TransCanada spokesman Terry Cunha, “which would ensure energy security for the United States.”

Stalled since 2008

The Keystone pipeline project started in 2005. The company received permission from the U.S. State Department to build the initial phases of the project, Keystone 1, in 2008, and the first leg was complete two years later. The second phase was finished in February when the two pipelines were connected in Steele City, Neb.

The third phase has been hung up since September 2008, when the company applied a second time to build the extensions, known as Keystone XL, to the north and the south, so that oil from Alberta could be transported to Texas.

After nearly three years, the application has yet to be approved or denied. If the Obama administration gives them the go-ahead, the full pipeline could be operational by mid-2013, the company said.

The State Department is wrapping up the last stages of its review and is expected to release its final environmental impact statement this month. The first two reviews seemed to favor the project, but the EPA has protested, so business groups are waiting to see how that affects the last report.

After the report is released, the State Department will have a 30-day comment period, when it will hold nine public hearings at locations near the pipeline. At the same time, it will have a 90-day comment period from relevant federal agencies, such as the EPA, the Energy Department, the Interior Department and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

If I remember correctly, the last refinery built in the US was in 1974 - almost four decades ago. Regulation, environmental hurdles, and low profit margins conspire against new builds. Probably makes more sense to fight a lot of little battles with a pipeline than one big one with a new refinery.

I don't know, but suspect that exapnsion would be hard too, since it would require a lot of retro-fitting of old plant to merge the old with the new.

8. TC

TC TS Member

The Keystone XL pipeline is going to go through the largest underground water reservoir in North America. You think a small leak would be a risk?

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Not at all a glass full of crude goes well with chips and salsa.

Has EPA given this their blessing, really? I would think it would take then 10 years to do the first of 10 studies.

10. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I live in Port Arthur, Texas and the largest refinery will be here and they plan the pipeline to come to that refinery. The EPA has been fining companies for all kinds of things in my city. A convience store was fined because they did not moniter the rubber on the gas hose to fill your car and fumes were above the standard. I see the EPA now has a limit of dust the farmers can produce when plowing the fields, the cotton farmers in north texas will get hit real hard on this one.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I have worked for the last 5 and a half months at the refinery in Whiting,(Chicago) Indiana. They are putting the seventh largest refinery in the world inside the fourth largest exhisting refinery and that one is in operation. Some of the construction techniques they have used are state of the art. I have been in this business for 35 years and got to see new tricks on that job. I no longer work there as we now have work at home and I am tickled to be here.

The Canadian pipeline will bring the "Tar Sands Oil" to American refinerys for production. We were told that the oil needs to maintain a $70 per barrel price to be a money maker for the Canadians. I know that the Connoco-Phillips refinery in Alton Illinois has a large project going so they also can process the thick tar sands oil.

I would rather see our American dollars go to the Canadians than the middle east. Dan

12. warren

warren Member

Our genious Gov't using out tax dollars wisely and they want more taxes.

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.