1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian National Anthem at the Grand

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JDSENIOR, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDSENIOR

JDSENIOR Member

Can someone explain why the ATA is obliged to play the Canadian National Anthem prior to the US Anthem each morning during the Grand? With 10-12 foreign countries represented, why is Canada the only other country acknowledged?

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

First of all, I can't believe your statement is true. Second, if it is true,...thank God I won't be there to witness it!

Mark Rounds

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've witnessed the playing of the Canadian N. Anthem AFTER our own often when attending shoots where considerable attendance by Canadian shooters is common. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the ATA were to honor the many Canadian participants at the Grand. My comments are neither in support of or against the practice....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

So Bob, does that mean you could care less? Well I sure as hell don't mind posting my opinion. Maybe this is one of the many reasons this country is in the shape it it is now...people just don't care and won't take sides and voice their concerns.

Mark Rounds

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

At the Canadian Championships held in Calgary a few days ago, as usual the American National Anthem was played first followed by the Canadian National Anthem. The last time I looked, the ATA ( Amateur Trapshooting Association ) was composed of all the States in the U.S. and all the Provinces in Canada and each State and Province has their own ATA Delegate. I don't believe any other country has ATA Delegates.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Good observation miketmx.

Don Verna

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

mikemx

If that is the case, I sure am glad I am not a Canadian shooting last week at their Canadian Championships. These actions have nothing to do with courtesy..it is politics at its finest.

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

JDSENIOR:

As Miketmx noted, unlike other nations in general, Canada's provinces and shooters are an official, integral, and welcome part of the ATA including the Grand.

Mr. Rounds:

I may be mistaken but I believe the presentation of 'colors' and the playing of both anthems (including the order played at the Grand) is done according to proper protocol. What's your problem?

Miketmx:

Unless the schedule has changed, the Stampede Grand (in Calgary, Alberta) is underway as we speak.

sissy

9. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

Sometimes it amazes me how arrogant Americans can be...and sometimes it doesn't. Surprisingly enough, I'm not surprised this time around. I also realize the uproar that would ensue if there were hundreds of US citizens at a shoot on Canadian soil and the Star Spangled Banner was not played.

You're welcome for 20% of your oil and gas and the $1.5 billion that crosses the borders via trade every day. Thank you for trying to take our softwood lumber and polluting out Great Lakes.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, for you Mark, it may be strictly politics and to most it's a courtesy for friends in both countries. It is for that reason that I do not choose to take sides on this forum; a waste of time.....Bob Dodd

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

JDSENIOR

Who's protocol...I bet it is not the protocol of all the participating shooters from either country. It is a disgrace for any country to play another country's National Anthem before their own.

I tell you what JDSENIOR, why don't you ask for a vote from the crowd at Sparta this year...ask them what National Anthem they wanted played first.

Mark Rounds

12. dcan67

dcan67 TS Member

So it must be very upsetting when the Canadaian sniper teams and troops are fighting along side the Marines in the big sand box.
    At the Saskatchewan Provincial shoot in July 16-19th the US flag and NA will be both in attendence. Whether there are any US shooters or not.
    Trolling always needs a heavy line.
    Don

13. JDSENIOR

JDSENIOR Member

sissy: My question was submitted simply as a matter of curiosity. I never indicated or implied I had a problem with the playing of the Canadian Anthem. Miketmx adequately answered my question. I was not aware that the ATA govering body was composed of both US and Canadian representatives. One would not know that from a review of ATA's website. Other than the use of the term "provinces", there is no mention of an affiliation with Canada. Thanks for your responses.

14. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

Mark

I agree that protocol would say that the home countries national anthem should be played first, but what is wrong with playing the Canadian National Anthem at the grand? I don't get your attitude. Yes I am from the USA.

By the way we depend a lot on our neighbors to the north, please be nice to them.

Dave Knapp

15. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Bob

I am not being disrespectful at all. I just wondered why you would post a comment on a subject but yet not stand on either side especially in these times of political unrest. The author of this post definitely was not concerned about courtesy.

Mark Rounds

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Proper protocol states the guest anthem should always be played first followed by our own.

Guy B.

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Dave

Maybe you have misunderstood me. I don't have a problem with playing others National Anthems at any of our sporting events. I have nothing against the Canadians, in fact, I am happy they would come and participate in a US event...same goes for any other country.

Truthfully, I would stand, honor and wait for every national anthem played from every country that has sent participants to the Grand.

I just think it is a disgrace for any country to play foreign Anthems before their own. It has nothing to do with courtesy!

Mark Rounds

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

JDSENIOR:

Don't take offense. My post consisted of three comments directed to three different posters. The second comment which included, What's your problem? was directed to Mr. Rounds.

sissy

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm retired Navy with many years service overseas. The military ALWAYS plays our anthem last after the hoast nation's.

I don't see the disgrace you refer to by playing our anthem last. It is proper and established protocol.

Guy

20. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Guy

My point exactly. What nation are we hosting which is the question the author of the post asked. We have many nations participation...not just Canada!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.