1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada's Conservative government to ease gun laws

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Canada

I guess this is shotgun related. If not the moderator can more it to the political forum. -

Canada's Conservative government to ease gun laws

TORONTO (AP) — Canada's Conservative government introduced legislation Tuesday to scrap a controversial law that requires the registration of rifles and shotguns....

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

So I guess this means their guns will pour across the border to US drug lords...lol.

3. ctreay

ctreay Member

I hope they kill the provision that we have to pay to take a firearm into Canada. A Legion Firing Squad/Drill team is not allowed to cross the border with thier rifles without paying $50.00 for each one and if they are semi-autos they can't cross at all, even though they are fitted with blank adaptors and can not fire live ammo. We used to go to parades but no more.

ctreay

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Paranoia is what reigns in the life of a liberal!!

Maybe we should start charging for any bagpipes that come across into the US!!

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Maybe we can make California a part of Canada.

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

You can keep California, but we will trade you Quebec for say.... Colorado or Montana.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: kill the provision that we have to pay to take a firearm into Canada

I have asked for this through a number of Canadian outlets in the past six months, to include several office holders in Canada. I also pushed for this on two seperate Canadian mailing list that I maintain.

Surprisingly, several outfitters were in opposition, as well as more than a few firearms owners.

I suspect those in opposition could care less about shoot participation at Canadian clubs.

All who oppose were in opposition to the U.S. Form 6NIA requirements for Canadians wishing to enter the U.S. with firearms (free with a shoot invitation or U.S. hunting license).

Canadian clubs got killed in regard to tournament participation when the fee requirement was imposed on U.S. gun owners. Clubs that saw two or three squads of shooters are now lucky to see one or two shooters, if that!

On the other hand, U.S clubs has a slight turndown in participation upon implementation of Form 6 requirements, but not experiencing the adverse impact as seen by there Canadian counterparts.

If I was running a Canadian gun club I would want the fees removed, or as a minimum making the temporary firearm import permit made good for one year as opposed to 60 days.

In the end, it can only be Canadian shooters who can force this change, not U.S. shooters…

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I would have to agree Joe as I believe it originally was good for a year when first implemented. It is especially foolish when no one comes out to check the guns serial numbers or quantity. I've only seen checking for verification on entering the US, not leaving for many years now. It's just a quick $25 tax for them.

For ctreay's clarification,it is $25 for 60 days presently and that is per form filled out per owner, not on individual guns. I have seen no problem with semi-auto's.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For those interested in shooting in Canada.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

* U.S. passport or enhanced drivers license required when returning to the U.S. via vehicle. Passport only when flying.

10. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Joe, the U.S. also screws Canadians by charging them $5.50, a head, every time they cross the border.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1075222--u-s-won-t-budge-on-entry-fee-for-canadian-travellers?bn=1

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In the article mentioned above, the $5.50 fee is for travel by air or sea and not for crossing the border into the U.S. by car.

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

i have two more years on my PAL. Still kind of pain having to register them up there though.

I haven't been there for a while, but I've never had a problem with a semi auto either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.