1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you use Cheddite primers to replace any 209?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

How does the use of Cheddite primers effect the receipts in manuals that do not make references to that primer. Can they be substituted for any of the 209. I do not load anything near max load. Use Titewad and Green dot and like lighter loads for 1 and 1 1/8 .

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I went to Cheddite primers from Winchester and it was not noticeable . I did think my shells were alittle slower with the same powder drop ??

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Striper. I use cheddites with Titewad, a green CB fig 8, STS hull, 1-1/16th oz thru my PW and it books down range at 1250. It is my load of choice. The pressure may be around 10 thou, but the felt recoil is light for a fast load. I shoot a normally aspirated Perazzi bbl and stock too.

4. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

dont do it if u have a k80 it will blow up

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the loading data I have seen, they are just a bit hotter than winchesters......I use the loads for the winchester 209's and have used around 15,000 of the cheddites.........no problems.

tony

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used them interchangeably with Winchester 209s over the years. The chronograph suggests they DO produce a tad more average velocity but within the peak highs in 10 shot tests with WWs. I load on the light side - if you load approaching maximums, I'd want to see published data or have loads tested by someone with a pressure tester. I believe Down Range Wads can test you loads for excessive pressure.....Bob Dodd

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bob. What does a pressure tester look like or how do they work?

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have once fired Chedidite primers for sale cheap. Fred

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How many will fit in the large flat rate postal box. HMB

10. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I tried some but the did not feed well in my PW, they kept hanging up. I think they are a little larger hence the feeding problem. No more for me, not worth the hassle.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Never seen one, Jack, but I know they exist and I'd guess they are linked to a professional chronograph, an inductive chrono rather than our homeowner types. I know there are scientific testing places that will provide a study of your favorite loads and folks on here have made recommendations and contact info previously.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can use the Cheddites, BUT they do NOT interchange "directly" for any other primer. There is a lot of data out there and this subject has been rehashed on this forum many times over. I would recommend staying away from any load that starts out near or above 10,000 PSI and dropping the powder charge a half grain or so. They seem to be close to the Winchester W209, so if you started out with such a load and modified it (dropped 1/2 grain) like I described previously, you'd probably be OK. When in doubt, call the powder company and see what they recommend. You could always treat it as the hottest primer listed and act accordingly.

Fortunately, there is a good amount of data for these primers out there. You just need to look for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheddite 209 primers
cheddite 209 primers review
cheddite 209 primers vs winchester 209
cheddite 209 vs winchester 209

cheddite primers

cheddite primers review
cheddite primers vs winchester 209

cheddite vs winchester primers