1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you shoot out a Citori?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cainblack2004, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cainblack2004

cainblack2004 TS Member

I have a 1984 Browning Citori that has never been fired. It is a field model with a single bead and interchangeable chokes. If I choose to shoot trap with this gun, will it wear out sooner than a citori trap model. In particular the barrels due to high volume shooting. I understand that certain mechanical parts may have to replaced on down the road, as this is normal wear and tear. I just don't want to destroy this gun by using it for something it is not designed to handle. Any input would be appreciated.

Jason Yauger

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Just shoot it, It will hold up longer than you think,maybe a lifetime of fun....

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

No problem Shoot it. As with any gun keep it reasonably clean and use good hinge pin lube. As far as I know there difference in a field and trap citori except cosmetics. I shoot a XT and have run about 100,000 rounds through it and had it rebuilt last year (it had not broken, just failed to shoot the bottom barrel on occasion) by Mr. Polanski for about $400 and it is as tight as ever. I do not take as good of care as some. Shoot it and enjoy!

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I don't believe that there are any real mechanical differences that you are thinking of. The real difference between a field and competition model is that stock and rib configurations are set up differently. For example the trap model will usually be set up to shoot a higher POI and have a higher vent rib and Monte Carlo stock. JMHO. Bill Malcolm

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Larry,

Actually, all Citori barrels are NOT the same, and I'm not just talking about the barrel length or the rib. Browning varies the wall thickness of some of their Citori barrels.

For example, my XT Trap has a wall thickness that averages about .040" thick while my 525 Sporting Clays has a wall thickness that averages about .035" thick. I'm referring to the forward half of the barrels, not the portion closest to the chamber.

That's the main reason why my XT Trap barrels weigh about 6 ounces more than my 525 Sporting Clays barrels even though they are both the same length.

Easystreet

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've been trying to shoot mine out for years. I'll try my hardest again Thursday Night to.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Close it softly, keep it lubed, and you will not live long enough to "shoot it out."

-Gary

8. philk

philk Member

Just shoot it, don`t save it for the wifes next husband.

9. cainblack2004

cainblack2004 TS Member

Good point. Real good point.

10. romie

romie Active Member

You can wear it out or at least the pin where it hindges I have a friend that did that.He said he tightened it with a hammer but it eventually wore that out.He shot sporting clays and I am not sure of the numbers .For all I know he could have taken it to a gunsmith to replace the pin.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's where the lube comes into play, Romie.

-Gary

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

"Shoot it out" comes from shooting rifled barrels where after xxxx number of shots the lands and grooves in the barrel are worn to a point that they no longer have any effect on the bullet stabilization. Pretty hard to have that happen in a smoothbore barrel.

Eric

13. 525 KID

525 KID TS Member

I shoot a 525 with 30'' barrels a sporting gun that i brought into trap from sporting. I have been shooting trap about 2yrs now and it has taken me from the 20 to the 27 in about 14 months and four of those months i switched to another gun and couldn't do much so i went back to the 525 and started moving back on to the 27 yd line. I have close to 130,000 rds thru it, shot only AA super sports in sporting clays and only AA super handicaps in trap nothing else. 2 trigger jobs and firing pins and hinges need to be rebuilt ASAP !!! I can't say enuff about these guns....

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought my XT used, when I got it home I was cleaning the case out. flipped over the spacer for the barrel slot......guys name and adress. I decided to call him. He says "no less than 10k rounds" At the time I thought that was a lot. "he told me if I took care of it and some how wore it out. He would buy it back from me. He traded it in for a Beretta combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.