1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you shoot 30" tubes out of a 32" barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kingcohojoe, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

I have been looking to purchase a set of used 28ga Briley companion tubes to shoot out of my 32" barrel Beretta. I see a lot of 30" tube sets for sale I was wondering if they could be used in my gun?

Thanks
    Joe

2. dss8110

dss8110 Member

Can you shoot 30

Yes you can.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Can you shoot 30

Sure, just make sure you clean your 12ga barrels real good before shooting 12ga out of them. Otherwise the ring of built up carbon and plastic can bulge your barrel when you shoot a 12ga shell out of your gun.

4. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can you shoot 30

skeet-man,
    Do you have any proof that this has every happened?. Sounds like an urban ledgend.
    napawino

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Can you shoot 30

Even if it hasn't happened yet, do you want to be the first? The same advise is given EVERY time someone asks about shooting tubes that are shorter than the barrels.

No, I don't have any first hand accounts of this, but then again nobody I know shoots tubes that are shorter than their barrels.

I do have a friend who bulged a tube because he cleaned from the choke end and chamber end with a short brush, and pushed all the fouling to the middle and failed to clear it out before shooting it. He called Briley and explained his predicament, and before he could explain how it happened, they asked him if that's what he did.

I suppose you could call them and ask if they'd ever heard of anyone bulging 12ga barrels after failing to clean out the carbon/plastic buildup, and I'll bet they have.

6. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Can you shoot 30

I'm going to go with Skeet-man on this one. I have a couple sets of 26" tubes and I shoot them every now and then in my 30" Browning. When I'm done it gets the solvent and wire brush treatment. It works fine but really leaves a carbon ring inside the barrel.

Jim R

PS.......I have one 3 ga. set of 26" tubes for sale. Briley Lightweight with 4 choke tubes per ga.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Can you shoot 30

If you look at the hardened ceramic crud that occupies your ports after a lot of shooting, you can understand a pressure rise if a barrel has the stuff in it.

The walls of many shotgun barrels are quite thin when you realize they have to contain 12K lbs of pressure.

Better safe than sorry.

HM

8. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

Can you shoot 30

Thanks for all your help, at least I am no longer locked into 32" tubes.

Joe

9. sebaka

sebaka Member

Can you shoot 30

I have shot 30" tubes in 32" barrels and always clean the barrels when you are done shooting with tubes installed. BOTTOM LINE FROM A SAFETY STAND POINT -WHY TEMPT FATE? NO THANKS!!!!! TAKES A WHOLE 2 MINUTES TO SCRUB THE CRUD FROMT THE 12 GAUGE BARRELS.

10. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Can you shoot 30

I have shot ovwe 4000 sub gauge loads this year in sporting clays tournaments. Almost all were fired in Seminole Chambermates, Briley Sidekicks or a set of full length tubes that I cut down to match the sidekicks. I have yet to clean my barrel after shooting any of them. One round of 12 gauge cleans them right up. Maybe I am just lucky, but most of the guys I shoot with who use short tubes do exactly the same thing. I have yet to see any barrel problems.

William

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.