1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you see shot in flight?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Many shooters have commented that they can see shot in flight. Try as I might, I can only do this on very rare occasions. Is there is secret to doing this or is it just a natural ability?

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yes....I can! But you have to have eyes like an Eagle!

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I can about half of the time. I need to be almost directly behind the gun and the light has to be right.

Jim

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I can but only at night

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Like others have said. when the light is right and at night under the lights. copper shot is far easier to see. Jeff

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

At the right time and angle I can, I was watching yesterday and could see it easily, the shooter moved to the next station and couldn't see it at all.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can see a gray streak at times but I am not sure it is actually the shot. Could be wad and gases. I have paid attention to this streak when looking from the side. It seems to go about 1/2 way to the target and then disappear.

Pat Ireland

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With some backgrounds I can see your shotstring at times but I've never seen my own! Hap

9. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

ANd for nearly all of the above comments I agree that it can be seen sometimes kindaa sorta maybe and the people that claim to have "seen the pattern go just under..just over...just behind, etc. I smile, thank them, and try to ignore anything they just tried to tell me. Good intentions indeed but I doubt the validity highly. My 2 cents.

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

yes,under the right conditions. Easier when shooting an extremely tight choke. When shooting a more open choke, you will loose it about half way to the target. Steve

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

MasterBlaster, a good video camera can prove one way or the other whether the correct call is made with the eyes. Hap

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

It is much easier to see at night under good lights. I can see it in the daytime, but I really have to concentrate.

If you want to train your eyes to see the pattern, just load some shells with home made shot that hasn't had any graphite mixed in. Have your buddy shoot the shells. You can't believe how bright shot is without graphite.

For those of you who ignore a little suggestion from someone watching, where do ya shoot? Those are the easiest pockets to pick!

ec90t

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Early one spring before we opened I painted a bunch of shot white and loaded it. I shot it in the lights at night. Once and a while I could see it as I shot but guys behind me could see it better but not as often as I'd hoped.

I had the idea that I could easily see the shot and could figure out how to shoot better. Save your paint and don't waste your time. LOL It was a fun experiment none the less.

Bill

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have seen the shot string, but only in the evening dusk and full night with the lights on. You do have to be standing behind the shooter. Still only see it sometimes when the light hits it just right.. My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I guess I'll open the can of worms. I can almost always see it while standing behind the shooter when shooting skeet but especially on a cloudy day. Commonly see it also shooting trap but it requires me to be directly behind shooter. I often see what appears to be the wad bouncing off the bird as it breaks. Never shot at night, due to high electricity bill so don't know if I could see it any better at night. Jackie B.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

MasterBlaster, Ray charles could see copper plated shot under the lights. If I shoot jacketed bullets in my 38 or 357 and the sun is behind me I can watch the bullets in flight. I don't know how easy it is for folks to see shot clouds in the day but it is really pretty easy at night.Jeff

17. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Heck I am lucky to just see the target. - Jim

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Lets see....

Have I seen shot in flight? Yes

Can I see it all the way from the muzzle to bird? no

When Have I seen it? In the evening with the sun behind me watching another bird hunter about 1/4 of a mile away, what I could see then was a grey mass, that i could pick up about a foot off his muzzle to about 20 feet.

Also on the skeet feild under the lights, standing behind another shooter, focussing on the target, there are times that as the shot reachs the area of the target I have been able to see a grey shimmer. When the shooter calls his shot and that is were the grey shimmer had been, tell me that wasn't the shot!

Can I see it every shot? no

But have I seen shot in flight? YES!

Al

19. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Especially if they are using copper,I can also hear it hit the target weather you want to believe that or not !

20. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Rain, high humidity, the right light, whether daylight or under the lights and your positioning behind shooter. All will at times allow you to see the shot string, and yes I can see it all the way to the target at times. Everything has to be just right. J.Woolsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.