1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

can you reload kemens with 700X

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Briggs, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

I have access to free Kemens. Would like to reload and dump for doubles. Do you know a recipe using 700X for 1 1/8 ounce shot and 1150 fps?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Read this thread:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=213385

Kemen and Rio hulls are made by the same company, UEE. I wouldn't reload them, free or not. Base wad migrations are a serious issue and these hulls are noted for it. You can do whatever you want, but my recommendation is based on sound reloading practices and common sense.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ignore the quacker... These reload great and there is data from Balistic Products with Helarco wads.

Tom

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

cp

He (TBaby) shoots down in Florida. I think the heat has gotten to him. :) Why someone would use good components in garbage hulls is beyond me. The preponderance of the evidence clearly shows these hulls are prone to basewad migrations. It's just a matter of time......

If you'd like to see the pictures and get a little more info, mash the link above or
    Read it <a href="http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=213385" target="_blank">here</a>.

My best friend's mom used to say..."Stupid is as Stupid does". We all thought she was kind of a witch and those words were a hex of somesort. Usually within a few minutes after she said that, someone was getting stitches or having a cast put on a broken limb. Real Bad Monkey Voodoo stuff. I finally understand what it was that she was saying. It wasn't her....It was our own stupidity that caused the troubles. It seems to apply to some people that continue to reload following unsafe practices.

5. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

cp,

for you peace of mind, you will find me at Elmwood, Peoria, and Chillicothe, Illinois 95% of the time. If you stay off my doubles squad you should be safe.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been rer-loading Rio's since I don't know when, never a problem, and no evidence of a problem, I re-load on a MEC not a PW, I just had a target box of Kemen's given to me and I used my Rio load in them, I use them as back-up buddy loads as the hulls are easy to identify as a back-up load.

26 Grains of 800-X 1 3/16 ounces of #6s w/ Rio Primer, Windjammer wad. I will somtimes load them twice and then pitch them, I also shoot them in a break open gun.

Those cheaper Independence Shells that Vance's and Buckeye Outdoors sell, my buddy has had the brass pull off of them and leave the hull poartially in the chamber of his Super-X Auto 3 or 4 out of box of 25.

No problem with a Break Open gun though.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

Hey Tom, SHHHHH. If the Quacker keeps spreading his gospel there will be more of the Kemen/Rio hulls for the rest of us to reload. I begin to suspect that somebody with Kemen licked all the "lolly" off of his Tootsie pop one time.
    Jim

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys If you believe Quack Shot your gun just blew up because you were thinking about reloading these hulls. I agree with Jim. Let Quacker spread the gospel of the blow up and we will have more hulls to reload.

Tom

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Tbaby,

Just where did I EVER claim a gun blew up because of a UEE hull? I do claim to have seen MANY examples of basewad migrations in these hulls and have been quite honest about that issue. Please don't put words in my mouth or imply that I said something I did not. There is a LOT of evidence to support my observation of basewad migrations in UEE hulls. If you want to ignore that fact and continue to load them, then I'll say "Stupid IS as Stupid Does". If you end up with a ruined barrel or personal and/or property damage because of your inability to follow safe reloading practices, then you have no right to complain if it happens.

As far as I'm concerned, you can load all of the UEE hulls you want to. Odds are I won't be shooting in your squad. I just take issue with the fact that you'd advise someone else to follow questionable loading practices.

Jim Pettengill

Yes, My contact with UEE about the issue wasn't what I would expect from a manufacturer. Their response was underwhelming. Add the fact that these shells don't always do very well in colder weather and you have shells I won't buy or use. I bought one flat and half of the first box were bloopers. Ran a box over a chronograph and the results were dismal. I gave away the rest of the flat to someone I didn't like. He had the audacity to complain about them. I told him that was the reason I gave them away. I recently won some Rio shells and will make sure they go to someone I don't like again. I won't shoot them. Believe me, if I thought there was no risk involved in loading them, I'd have tons of them loaded and ready to go. I'm all about free and plentiful. I just don't see any reason to use these hulls when I can get so many "Better" hulls for nothing too.

I have had quite a few reputable people make the same observation as I had. I take reloading safety very seriously and it is no joke when someone advocates unsafe loading practices as had been done here. The answer is not using a MEC press to load defective hulls. The answer is not using defective hulls in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.