1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can You Really Afford To Continue Shooting???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you mean serious trap competition, like at the level to get to and maintain a 27 yard position and good enough to win on occasion, then no. But then, I've never had the resources to do that anyway, so it's a moot point.

But I'm still planning on shooting trap and sporting clays. I just don't do as much now because I'm supporting a teenager in college.

On the other hand, I'm doing a lot more hunting than ever before. My main expenses there are gasoline.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My days of spending $10K annually on travelling and targets are over. Now, when I travel, I go with a Collegiate Team I coach. The University pays some of the expenses. I can usually shoot practice, but am there for the kids. That works for me.

If things work out, I may be lucky enough to train and travel with a team to Colorado Springs, and Kerrville. I may not even take a gun.

My home club throws the best targets in the state, so I am fine at home!

3. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i never could really afford to shoot enough to be good but i still shoot as much as i can, which ain't much.thats why i'm still just a midyardage shooter at best.jackmitch

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Drew, I think what's being missed is - are you having fun? Are you enjoying it?<br>
    <br>
    That's highly subjective. Some might be having fun by spending a ton of money to make the pilgrimage to Sparta. More power to 'em.<br>
    <br>
    But if the expense is to the point where you're giving up a lot more fun in your own region just to make the trip, then maybe you've got some rebalancing of the books to do.<br>
    <br>
    I think you've got an important point about clubs that throw crappy targets. If they want to compete for your money now that times are getting lean and mean, they better start earning what they charge or they'll find their customers are going elsewhere.<br>
    <br>
    For myself, trapshooting has always been an instructional sport on the road to better shooting skills for hunting. I do enjoy sporting clays, and prefer it to trap, because sporting clays is closer to hunting for presentations.<br>
    <br>
    Would I feel differently if I had the resources? Possibly, but then, there are other things that I like to do also, like DCM shooting. And that's another money pit in and of itself. Just ask Shooting Coach.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A few years ago I couldn't get enough of it. Then I started to figure out what it cost me. I enjoyed it but not that much. I cut back on my shooting and then my scores started to suffer. Then when my scores started suffering it became even less enjoyable. Now I'm shooting sporting clays with a couple of family members, who don't want to shoot competitively or in front of people. We go out to the range at the local club and shoot by ourselves. We have a blast!! No rules, shoot what we want. Well we do have 1 rule, the most expensive gun anyone can shoot is an 1100. Hell we might shoot the rabbit target 50 times and not shoot anything else. We can screw around for a few hours doing that so it doesn't seem so expensive.

As far as trapshooting I've been playing a lot of the games. Annies, buddies, turkey shoots. That's a lot less expensive than registered.

I still enjoy registering doubles, but even there I will probably decrease that this year. With targets and ATA fees and state fees you are looking at a minimum of $25, add cheap shells or reloads is another $20 to $25. So you are talking $50 to shoot 50 pair of doubles. It only takes 30 minutes to shoot 50 pair of doubles. So I gotta ask myself do I want to pay $50 for 30 minutes of entertainment?

6. Landshark

Landshark Member

With shot being $47 a bag where I live (Houston) and skeet tourneys costing $200-250 to enter, I am now happy just being a club shooter on Saturdays shooting 5-7 rounds. I never really had the money or time to maintain AA averages, but I had a heck of world shoot one year. Registered my first 2 100's at the world. Now it's been there done that, got the gold medals to show for my effort. It was great shooting in the stadium field and winning A class and going head to head with the greats of our time. I just don't have that burning desire to compete anymore.

I too have done a lot more hunting and I have a group of friends and we hunt with our wives. We have a blast and the Missus is happy.

For me it boils down to how I spend my recreational dollar and what do I get in return for it. For the cost of "donating" in 2 tournaments I have bought a nice rifle and enjoy punching holes in paper and sometimes critters. I have a great time with the guys just shooting practice because we do not have a league here.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Landshark makes a lot of sense. For the total cost of two tournaments, I bought a mint Rem 700 Varmint 308, a Leupold Benchrest 24X scope and mounts. DUH!

I also like to shoot precision rifle. I used to shoot on my State Rifle Team before age and health took the needed edge off my eyesight. I went through a DCM Match Service Rifle barrel annually. This is pricey, now.

I bought out a young Service Rifle Shooter when he was recalled to serve his country. I have about 10K Sierra Matchkings, all suitable for the 308. I also have two 50 cal ammo cans of Lapua 170 gr Scenar bullets. I can shoot this gun, and others for several years for little or nothing.

I no longer WANT to shoot five flats a week, or drive all over the country to spend a lot, shoot a little. A couple of flats on the weekend, a weekend a month off to shoot rifle and pistol, time to get MY training done, and time enough to work with the next generation of shooters and champions suits me just fine.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Considering everything that trap shooting has given to me, the expenses associated with the sport are minor. I hope to shoot a little more this year than I did last year. If Global Warming comes about, then I could really shoot some targets.

Pat Ireland

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hobbies and enjoyment of life is not about money! If we start to use the words money and hobby in the same breath...well, it's time to move on to something more....like tiddly-winks!

and to answer the posted question: Yes!

Curt

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Yep. Won't stop shooting. Tried golf...didn't care for it. Fishing can be as expensive as shooting; and I can't bowl for squat.

I'll cut back on other expenses, but I'll keep shootin'.

11. striper

striper Member

I started shooting again at age 61. I do it now just for sport and self challenge and the fun I have mingling and BSing with the regular guys I shoot with every sunday. We have informal matches once a month and I am having fun. I love reloading and shooting period. I will continue to shoot as often and as much as I can as long as my health and pocket book allows. I just wish I was younger so I could feel justified in collecting mod 12!!

12. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I just bought a case of Federals from Gander Mt. yesterday they were $75.00 + that is $20.00 more than last month. Is that excessive or the going price today ?

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I see that I have a choice...

Afford to shoot or afford to travel. I'm not willing to do both at the same time so shooting wins. I'll be staying local this year.

Morgan

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had a very smart man tell me many years ago that you can afford anything you really want, but you can't afford everything you want.
    It comes down to choices, mine right now is trap shooting. I'll continue to shoot local and out of state meets as long as it stays my #1 choice.
    I budget my money and time to accomplish this, it's what I enjoy doing.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

2 years ago registered birds were at $23/100 and shells were $5.50 a box (new STS or Win). The price has not increased that much. I can still reload for $4.50/box +/-. so it cost a couple more bucks per 100 to shoot. Is gas the killer for many? A 300 mile trip now cost me $56.25, 2 years ago it cost around $30. That is only a $26 increase unless you drive to a 3-4 day shoot everyday. It's not as bad as you think unless your living on the edge of your salary, or you feel you have to shoot Fed papers!

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I love to shoot, but the numbers just don't make sense to me any more. For the first time in five years, I've gone almost a month without shooting a single shell. Know what? The world is still turning. Imagine that.

My days of spending $2,500 for a week of match shooting every month are over. I'll still shoot, but only when I can afford it. I've cancelled plans for two Florida trips so far, and probably won't go to San Antonio either, much as I would like to.

The difference for just those three shoots is nearly $8,000 of after-tax disposable income, which means pre-tax income of $12,000. I'm self-employed, so that means three weeks of additional billable time. Those three road trips would put about 7,000 miles on my car as well.

I could get really negative here, but I see no point in spoiling everybody else's fun. Fact is, the fun stopped for me when the price of "cheap" shells went from $39.00 to $65.00 a flat in a single year. It's called demand elasticity.

17. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

This sport is way to much fun and enjoyable to cut back much! I did start shooting 7/8 at practice 16s and 1oz at handicrap practice but will shoot the same competitive loads at the registereds. I will still make every BIG shoot I can get to, but will skip a few of the smaller clubs that charge too much. I will practice, and quite a bit, at a club where I can shoot a round for $2.50.
    But, registered shoots are way too much fun for me and my buddies and we are not about to stop much. I'll still get in my several thousand registered every year.

I cut back in other ways, like getting a diesel car that gets me 42mpg instead of the old one that got 22. That save me over $200 a month alone! Since about 95% of us need to lose a little weight, I would probably cut back on groceries before I would cut back on shooting registered! If I have to cut money spent it will be somewhere else. Trap shooting is way too important!

18. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

A practice round costs me $5.50 to $6.00 at the two clubs I shoot at, and that's part of the problem. I haven't shot a $2.50 practice round in years.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Reading this thread was almost weird because many of you sound just like me. I've never been financially able to travel to and compete in lots of major shoots and frankly don't want to pay the current costs for shells and reloading components. I have all but a ton of shot and well over a dozen flats of new shells on hand but I want - no, need - those supplies to last me a while. On top of that, when active, I was a AA or AAA singles shooter and have been on the 27 for almost eight years (although didn't really consider myself a "27-yard shooter"). I was never a top shooter but the corrosion from lack of practice will make shooting lower scores less enjoyable. So I shoot a little practice now and then and find that really fun compared to the "work" of competitive shooting. I am spending a LOT more time with my rifles, hunting and fishing and have even gotten into archery hunting.

I'm not spending as much money on my outdoor activities now as I did when shooting trap a lot but even if I were, I like it better this way for the same reason Bisi mentioned - the entertainment that money is buying me now lasts a lot longer.

If/when shooting costs drop, I'm sure I'll return to my old habits. If not, that's okay, too - I'm actually enjoying having multiple hobbies for a change!

Ed

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Trap shooting, cigars, and Scotch. Can't seem to give any of those up. As long as the funds hold up, and the local club stays open (4 owners/5 years), and the wife doesen't outlaw cigars and Scotch, I'll keep on wasting money on what I enjoy. Besides, I just love the smell of burnt gun powder before lunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how can i afford to trap shooting

how to afford a trap gun

how to afford trap shooting