1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you identify this primer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm salvaging shells loaded by someone who's no longer alive. He loaded mostly Federal products with Federal components. Most of the salvaged primers are easily identified as Federals.

There are a number of boxes of shells that are primed with the primers pictured below. They have the domed primer cup and red foil of a Federal primer but the battery cup is copper-colored instead of nickel.<center>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    </center>

I thought they might be CCI because CCI have the same domed primer cup and red foil, but CCI primers have a nickel-plated primer cup, not the brass-plated cups these have.

I've found 6 boxes of these so far. The types are mixed plastic: some GM, some Extra-Lite, some Target and some Handicap in each box. I opened one shell and found a white 12S3-style wad but the powder appears to be PB.

I don't know Federal products and it's a shot in the dark, but can anybody positively identify this primer?

MK

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Fed. 209? Possibly a better look with a current Win or Fed primer for size comparisons. Hap

3. Unknown1

OK, Winchester 209 on the left, new Federal 209A on the right, mystery primer in the center.<center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </center>

Now the next obvious question is... once it's identified, can I use it in Federal data in a 8500 psi formula with Claydot and AA hulls?

MK

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I believe you will find your mystery primer is a Nobel sport.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Not a nobel . Old fed 209 I believe. Jeff

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Agree with bigbore613, it looks like an old Fed 209 to me. It may not be quit as hot as the Fed 209A.

John

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I don't know about some of the above comments, but it sure as heck looks like one of these...

[​IMG]

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Looks just like a CCI 209-domed silver,brass case & red moistue cover

Phil Berkowitz

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

According to whiz's picture, I stand corrected on my comment about it not being as hot.

John

10. Unknown1

Thanks all...

Thanks Whiz. It looks like I have a bunch of older?/newer? Federal 209A primers and I'll use them as such.

MK

11. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Federal used to copper-plate the steel body of the 209A's. It's cheaper now to just leave them "in the white" and not copper-plate them any more. The heads on the promo hulls like Rem. Gun Club and Estate/Top Gun are not brass plated any more either - just left "in the white". .....Rick

12. TC

TC TS Member

Actually, they are not "in the white". They are Zinc Chromate plated which is cheaper than the common copper/brass plating used in the past.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Looks like a Federal. Which one is the question, but it's either the 209 or early 209A. If memory serves me, they both looked about the same except for the package markings. Using the data for the Federal 209A might keep you out of trouble, but my thought is to discard any components you can't positively identify.

14. checker

checker Member

Here are some CCI 209 Trap & Skeet mid 1980's Vintage.....NOT

[​IMG]

15. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I wonder were "Whiz" got that nick name. Definately hold true on here.
    Thankyou Whiz.!!
    Nice to identify these reloading products.

Joe Woods/Ontario

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My nickname was really a carryover from my dad. He played football in college against Byron R. "Whizzer" White, the late Supreme Court Justice. My dad was an executive for Armour & Co in CA and was a "whiz" in sales... he ran the west coast sales division for Armour... he got the name "Whizzer". A recent article I read indicated that Byron hated the nickname of "Whizzer".

My dad was killed in an automobile accident when I was 20.

The first year I started shooting trap (age 24), I shot pretty good and was talked into going to the Grand American by a Remington Rep, Don Tate of Montana. I was lucky to shoot a 99x100 in the Vandalia Handicap. Lost a shoot-off to Ruthie Keim of NJ. I did make the 26½ yard line that first year.

The local newspaper did an article on my win, and some older fellas who shot at my club knew my dad and said I was a "whiz at shooting." The handle stuck ever since.

Although my dad was a liquor wholesaler, the nickname had NOTHING to do with drinking beer. In fact, I'm not much of a beer drinker at all.

Whiz ;-)

17. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have some new CCI 209M's that look like the mystery primer

18. Unknown1

<blockquote>"I have some new CCI 209M's that look like the mystery primer"</blockquote>

If I remember, the CCI 209M primers are all brass plated... battery cup and primer cup. The battery cup of the mystery primers are copper colored.

MK

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Whiz,

You'll be happy to know that Ruth Keim (now Ruth Flayderman) is still shooting as good as always down here in S. Florida. Her husband Norm Flayderman is a world renowned expert in antique firearms. If you Google his name you'll see his accomplishments in his field.

Eric

20. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

If I didn't see the pic of the federal primer I would have said it was on old Herters primer.
    I sold some recently and it looks just like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.