1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you identify this headstamp?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I was recently given a full bandoleer of this 30-06 ammunition. Clean and all ammo in 5 round stripper clips with cardboard inserts. The 9 40 is Sept. of 1940 manufacture but I am not familiar with the C N portion. Anyone know if it is corrosive?

Thanks! Jeff

2. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are you sure it's CH and not CN? If the latter, it may be Canadian manufactured ammunition. CH may mean, it's Swiss. Either way, I have no idea if it's corrosive. Chichay

3. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

30-06 military ammo, headstamped CN 9 40, 25 rounds on strippers. This headstamp is listed as "unknown" in official sources.
    An internet search turned up several collector sources which state that this was US made (probably by Lake City) in the 1950's, as "sterile" or untraceable ammunition for the CIA. Some refer to it as "Bay of Pigs" ammo.

Cartridges are generally clean and in good condition. Some have black paint or tape residue...

4. munoz

munoz TS Member

Hello Jeff,
    The headstamp CN stands for "China North" , and the "CH" is from Belgium.
    Manuel

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In 1940 primers were corrosive. HMB

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Thanks guys. These came in a 60 round bandoleer. Two 5 round strippers per pocket each in their own cardboard. They are extremely clean as Grubby Jack stated. Interesting info on the "Unknown" origin.

Jeff

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

5 round stripper clips, sounds like they were to be used in a bolt action rifle, like an 03 Springfield. HMB

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

As HMB says the 5 round indicate the 03 rifle. The Bs about CIA is just something to make some crap ammo sound more interesting. Intelligence agencies wouldn't use ammo that would be classified unknown and untraceable. The will use something generic that could have come from anywhere. Much better to use something that would be blamed on someone else. THINK.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Per American Rifleman November 1993 article, "The Military Headstamp Puzzle"- it was made by Lake City Ord.

Does it have a red or green laquer primer seal? Collectors speculate that the ammo was made by the arsenal for clandestine operations.

I think it would most likely be corrosive. M1 Rifle ammo was corrosisve at the start of WW2 if not all the way through while M1 Carbine ammo, I think, never was.

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Jerry P-

The ammo has a red laquer seal around the primer only. Can't see any type of sealant on the bullets unless it is below the case mouth.

Jeff

11. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Silver bs,

I'm sure glad you don't work for the CIA or NSA etc... Lake City has made LOTS and LOTS of "special" rounds...

"Intelligence agencies wouldn't use ammo that would be classified unknown and untraceable. " just think what you said... do you even know the meaning of Sterile Operation....I don't think, no, I know you don't know what that is.... too bad...Grubby

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It is hardly untraceable with a headstamp. Just need the code.

GoldEx , could be either color sealant, it's Lake City. Clean the whole gun well after shooting.

Grubby, We are the good guys, we don't do that stuff. Don't use silencers either. Must be Chinese ammo.

13. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Here's an article that should clear up the answer:
    [​IMG]

As you can see your cart was made in 1953 at Lake City; kind of an interesting story.
    Dick C. (gatguy)

14. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

JerryP:
    I did not know Mitch WerBell was Chinese..........LOL..Grubby

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

1953 production should make it noncorrosive.

16. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Gatguy: Thank you so much for the information. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down.

"The Bs about CIA is just something to make some crap ammo sound more interesting." Silverbulletxpress.... uhhh.. you were saying what????

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cartridge headstamp cn 9 40