1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you identify this Citori wood?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm getting this Citori wood for a song. A guy I shoot with has a field Citori that I'm pretty sure has this same wood. His gun has scroll work and is very upscale for a field gun. Can anyone identify this wood as belonging on type I, II, or III Citori? I suspect type II. I don't know yet if the stock is long or short tang. If I remember correctly type II and III wood interchange.

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

type I, Browning Jap Citori

3. single stack

single stack Member

BucPride may be right.
    The picture isn't clear enough for me to tell.
    I hope this link to Midwest is helpful.
    http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-015-6

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I've never seen or heard of a good way to identify the "type" of Citori stock. You can easily determine what type a receiver needs, but you can't really tell from the stock.

Sometimes based on a certain stock and checkering design, you can determine what model it came off of (325, 425, some of the trap models), but that's about it.

The forend is pretty easy based on the info @ Midwest Gun Works website, but the stock, not so much. The stock you show is the most generic stock Browning offered, and the same design was offered across all 3 types. Only way to know is try it on a receiver and see if it fits.

99% sure it will be a long tang stock as well.

While BucPride says Type 1, based on the picture, it looks identical to the stock the long tang Type 3 I started shooting with.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thank you all. I should be picking it up about the first of the month. It appears to be 12 gauge according to my bionic eye. Allegedly no cracks or deep scratches. I'm kinda hoping the forend will fit my Ultra Sporter. I have big hands and I hate Schnabels.