1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Can You Help Me," she asked.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

A small lady 40 - 50 years of age approached me wanting some advice on what kind of gun she should buy for shooting trap. She didn’t have much money but did want a gun with which to shoot both singles and doubles (or as she said, a gun that will shoot one target and two targets) and could I check the internet for deals.

“Well, there’s no need for that,” I told her. “I have just the gun…cheap and in great shape.” So, I sold her my beloved JC Higgins pump. I was up front with her regarding the condition of the gun, specifically where the rib was a little loose (a bit of electrical tape held it in place) and where the small crack in the stock might sometimes pinch her face but she could fill the crack with something. She did ask why the metal was two different colors and I told her the truth, that I had ordered it special that way.

“It’s kind of heavy,“ she said when she picked up the gun. I quickly assured her that heavy guns break more targets than do lighter guns. She asked me about the price. I told her even though I had much more in the gun, the low price to her would be an even $1000. She kinda choked up and said softly, “That’s quite a bit of money,” where as, I said, “You have to pay for quality, lady!”

She bought the gun and Damn, I feel good being able to help someone, even if I did lose money in the transaction.

Booger

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Booger.. the Trap G-ds will punish you for that.. you'll never get 25 straight again.. you trigger will double.. hit targets not break.. and maybe even a barrel failure.. You'll go to the trap line with 24 shells.. have 2 miss fires and 3 FTF.. Saying all that.. you'll be back to the 20 yard line.. and maybe even a further reduction.. I didn't want to mention the stuck firing pin.. and cracked forend you have in your future.. Yes.. I'd say you got a very good deal... If you didn't give her a refund.. it could be much worse..LOL... Be Nice.. Mike

3. samiam03

samiam03 Member

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!!

Sam

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

That's one lousy cast there. Remember when fishing (TROLLING) its all about Presentation,Presentation,Presentation. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Booger blue, {he needed the money},

It's a good thing that lady was his Mom, any other he would have charged $1,500.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shannon391, That's pretty damn funny:)

I figured this would be the last place that I saw an Andrew "Dice" Clay reference.

Keep up the good work!

ss

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What a grin!

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Booger can you send me the ladies address I wnat to compliment her on her negotiating skills.

9. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

is the stringer full yet??

tony

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Look, those guns are collectable. A fellow sold me one that Ted Williams himself shot and autographed. I paid only $1800 bucks for it and it is a real target crusher if "I do my part"...I have Ted's famous average with that gun in singles, the same average at .406 I believe...this is one sweet gun. An overlooked treasure. I will trade it even for a Perrazi MX-9, the new kind, 'cause I now want a break open gun even if I will have to give up a little quality.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The first post in this thread reminds me of the guy who picked up a Perazzi combo for $1300 from a deceased shooter's widow.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hey!!! hey!! She asked me what it was worth " To me" To me it was 1300. You guys know how I love my autoloaders. Jeff

13. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Booger,

Did you test her ability to "pump? <VBSEG>

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How dare you make a transaction like that with out posting it here first and giving us the opportunity to assign a 'fair' value to it. The custom electrical tape alone would have added $300 to the value.....

Hopefully you will remember this lesson and not get so badly taken advantage of in the future.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think you mislead her a little bit...the two tone bluing was a standard feature...

16. woodsman

woodsman TS Member

BOOO. I thought this post was going to be a good joke.

17. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

i told granny to buy a bt 99!!

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have a JC Higgins pump but I only paid $30 for it many years ago.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.