1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you ever go back? (release to pull)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by backfenceata, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Has any one switched back to pull after years with a release. If so , do you have any training tips? Kirk

2. Kent

Kent TS Member

Kirk as you know I am no expert on this subject. But, I do have a theory that might be similar. After a decade of twist off beer bottle caps, I have often found it a painfull experience to pick up a traditionally capped bottle and try and screw it off. I would say that you can never go back to the "good ole days."

Kent

3. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Kent(fellow squad mate) so wise for so early in the am. Kirk

4. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

It has been said that I am a little different, but I shoot Skeet and sporting clays with pull trigger and Trap and Trap doubles with release. It takes a little more thinking on the first couple of shots. but after that it just seems natural

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I would think that it could be done, depending upon the original cause of the flinch. If it was visual and measures were taken (lower hold point, different glasses, etc.) to improve the shooter's look at the target, the flinch would not occur. Even a recoil-induced flinch might clear after enough time spent with a softer-shooting gun.

But I also think that not many release users would want to switch back to one of those funny triggers you pull to make the gun go bang. Obvious from that last sentence is the fact that I use releases and I've found them much, much smoother than a pull trigger - you no longer have to tighten any muscles to shoot, so the whole process just flows better. I like shooting trap with release triggers so much more than pull triggers that I have no desire to go back.

Interestingly, I have never as much as thought about or in any other way tried to set the trigger on a rifle, handgun, crossbow or even a shotgun while hunting or target shooting and on the few occasions when I've shot sporting clays, I've used my synthetic 1100 field gun's pull trigger with no trigger issues. I even reinstall the pull trigger group in my 1100 Tournament Trap when I use it for dove hunting (which I will in about six weeks).

Humans are weird critters!

Ed

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I did it and have taught a few others to and know a handfull of sporting clay trap shooters that have as well. Lots of dry firing to start with. Not enough time for now got to get back to the sawdust Joe

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Interestingly, I just tried it this last Sunday.

I've shot release for probably 30 years or more, but occasionally I put a pull trigger in and see how I do.

Within the first 5 shots, I am really reminded why I shoot a release trigger.

I always end up shooting the gun, but it may be when the target is well on it's way down and it may be my 2nd or 3rd attempt at pulling the trigger.

One round is enough for me to let go of my fantasies of returning to a pull trigger until next year, when, like Charlie Brown kicking the football, I have to try it all over again. ;)

Hauxfan!

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Every shoot - my single barrel has a release trigger, and my O/U has pull/pull. I use the single for handicap and singles most of the time, and the O/U for singles occasionally and on doubles all of the time. The ONLY time I have ever had a problem was in doubles shortly after I had the single converted to release. I was shooting a practice round, leading off. When we moved to station two for the first bird, I put the gun up, and it went off. With a sheepish grin I said to my squadmates "I guess this one isn't a release!". We all had a good laugh.

Maybe after this season is over I'll have the O/U converted to release/release, but so far, no problems.

The reason I had the single converted to a release was because I'd developed an occasional "dive into the gun" flinch, where I'd pull the forend down just as I was pulling the trigger. It was costing me about 2-4 birds per hundred in the handicap. The release has mostly cured that, and I'm getting more consistent in handicap, I think. This weekend should tell with 400 in four days.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hmm - flinching by pulling the forend down. Seems to me that I just read about that somewhere.

Ed

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I basically asked the same question a few weeks ago and got a private message from a gentleman, who probably has the best answer for returning: He said to get a .22 pistol, go to the range and shoot a couple of hundred rounds, to retrain the brain. I'm not returning to a pull but was just curious since I cannot pull a trigger anymore.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most flinch fixes with a pull trigger are temporary at best. The best flinchers will flinch with a BB gun!!

12. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I shot a release/pull for several years in the 70's. Did not like the relase. Quit the sport for almost 10 years. Upon return I went to an auto, believing recoil was my problem. It worked for a couple of yearw and low and behold the flinch started to return. I put a releases in my auto's and then had to learn to shoot a double release. After less than a year I decided to go back to a break gun. Have shot a double release in a break gun for 18 years now. Do not have problem and currently enjoy the double release. (I still shoot a pull for hunting without any problems).

I have seen a few people return to the pull after using a release. Almost all still have problems flinching. Some are kidding themselves but that is there decision. - Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.