1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Can you eat Chipmunks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

I was just wondering this because I've been shooting a gazillion of these animals (Benjamin Sheridan, C-9 .20cal) and some have been on the plump and robust side. Seems like a waste to just toss them into the woods. Kitty has also been nailing them.

Anyone eating Munks? If so, anyone have recipies??
  2. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

3. mixer

mixer Active Member

Sure you can eat chipmunks but why?

Eric
  4. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

Taste just like chicken.
  5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

albeit a very wee chicken.

HM
  6. Bucko43

Bucko43 Active Member

Your two front teeth will start to grow if you do...
  7. det131

det131 Member

As youngsters my brother and I spent a lot of time cruising the woods of the family farm with 22 handguns on our hip. A favorite activity was chipmunking. At the time they were unprotected in PA. Dad's rules, other than vermin, if you shot it you ate it. Many many chipmunks were smoked over hickory or apple in a homemade tin-can smoker. They were the finest deer stand pocket snacks ever created. By the way don't let anyone ever convince you how good groundhogs taste. Just ain't true. Crow's ain't too bad and neither are porcupines.

Jim
  8. hmb

hmb Active Member

Chipmunk Stew:

Sautee in extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic. Add diced onions and peppers and cook until soft. Add a jar of Ragu and an equal amount of water. Bring to a boil with diced red potatos and carrots. Cook on low heat for two hours and serve. HMB
  9. quartering

quartering Active Member

it seems like a lot of work to dress one out when you compare it to making wings. but tonight's the night. i say go for it. blue cheese dressing, celery sticks, a big plate of spicy hot munk wings, a beer and football!
  10. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

If you don't have any EVOO, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, you can also use SOVO, Slutty Old Vegtable Oil

What is extra virgin, always wondered that when the wife is watching cooking shows on TV
  11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Was any of them wearing glasses or had a red sweater with an "A" on it??? Shame on you.

Wayne
  12. RAScott

RAScott TS Member

Are things realy that bad? If munks are the main course, are moles appatizers? Bob S
  13. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

I would like to know how to establish a population so that I can shoot them. Every time one or two show up they soon dissappear. I used to shoot lots of them when I lived in a subdivision about a mile away. Aparently the subdivision drove the natural predators out. Now that I live on ten acres of woods something is keeping them from multiplying.

I would love to have a growing population in my woods. Now that I can shoot them with a .22 there are none to be shot.

Jim Skeel
  14. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Well, since I've given Kitty a bit more freedom, I'm suspecting that he's actually been eating a few of them or so... but he's not fessin' up to anything just yet. I figure that I'll catch him in the act and then question him on the best way for preparation. He's actually a decent cook and not a bad shot considering he's just a Cat.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2545.jpg" target="_blank"> 100_2545.jpg </a>
  15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hawks love chipmunks, and have adapted very well to urban life.

I saw one sitting on a water tower day after day, waiting for his meal. Once I saw him go after a cat, but the cat made it bhind some trash cans.

A munk wouldn't have a chance.

HM
  16. det131

det131 Member

RAScott:

Moles tend to taste muddy, the bright side is you can use mole a$$es to make rum.

Jim
  17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Chipmunk Buffalo Wings?

I guess I'll never find out. Chipmunks are protected in Oregon.
  18. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

If you look real close at the picture, you can see a Munk about 4 feet in front and a little to the left of Kitty's head.
  19. quartering

quartering Active Member

yes, but it also looks like the screen door is pulled shut and the glass door might not be opened quite wide enough for kitty's profile! what's up with that?
  20. waverider

waverider Member

I noticed that Kitty did not finish the last meal; might be full of munks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.