1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

can you check a cased shotgun on air travel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I was thinking about bringing another sghotgun to my fathers house. I should have done it when I drove but too late for that. I was wondering if you have a cased gun can you check it as regular baggage? Or do I have to ship it to a local dealer? TY

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

yes you can check it as baggage.

3. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

I do it all of the time.

You first need a hard case with locks.

You need to go to the ticket counter and declare "An unloaded firearm".

You will need to open the case and they will provide you with a voucher declaring that it is an unloaded firearm.

You will sign the voucher and they will insert one copy in the case and give you a copy for your records.

You will no longer be able to touch the gun or case. They will then have one of the airline agents or an airline porter hand carry it to TSA inspector to check the firearm and case. You will give him the key. He will lock it and return the key. They will do this in front of you.

The TSA people will handle the case from there. Usually the case will be delivered with the rest of the luggage. sometimes, like in Las Vegas, they deliver the gun cases to the airline luggage office. It's not really a hassle except in New York City with handguns.

I've traveled all over the country through my home airport, O'Hare and have never been hassled. If it's a high end firearm, you may want to consider extra insurance though just to be safe. Good luck and enjoy. Happy Easter!

John Semprini
    Chicago

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Do it the easy way. Ship it to yourself in care of your father.

It's perfectly legal, hunters and competition shooters do it all the time.

Joe Petoskey's website has links and info, losttarget.com

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.