1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you call this 100 straight??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tad houston, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Well my son Cory finished up his second year of ATA shooting with a bang Sunday. Went to Perry’s at Sheldon, MO (and had a Great time as usual!) where he shot a 97 in singles.

He then shot in handicap (only his 5th time for handicap) where he promptly went out and dropped the first bird.

But then he went on to shoot 99 straight! He has been struggling for his 75 straight patch for most of this year, one bird away several times but now he has it. His 99 was tied for High Overall so he went on to a shoot-off, which he lost BUT not before running off another 8 birds. SO, the question is, even if it does not qualify for a patch, can you call this 100 straight??

I told him that bottom line is that after Sunday he will now KNOW anytime he steps to the line that he CAN shoot 100 straight. So as far as he should be concerned it’s now a been, there done that deal even if he doesn’t have a patch to show for it.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

3. ChetH

ChetH Member

Good shooting Cory!

My rule is 'If you have to ask, then it isn't'.

chet

4. blooper

blooper TS Member

although he's not shot 100 straight in an event, he has shown that he is capable of shooting 100 in a row, using this thinking it takes some of the stress off and allows his 100 straight to come quicker.....this exact tactic was used on my son and his 100 straight came within 2 weeks

5. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Thanks Blooper, exactly what I was thinking and the reason I told him to think of it that way.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I shot in a 200 bird ATA event. I had never had 100 straight. I scored a 24 on my first trap and a 24 on my last trap. I ran the middle 6 traps. Although I had run well over 150 straight it didn't count as I either needed the 100 in the first 4 traps or the last 4 traps. However, Corey now knows he can and will do it. Great shooting!! Ed

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Not a true 100 but with a 97 in singles and a 99 in handicap, I would have given him one of the patches from my bag and tell him to break the next 100.

Pat Ireland

8. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Thanks Pat, Thats one of the reasons I am so supportive of him shooting trap. I haven't found a better group of people for him to associate with anywhere else!

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

allmost, but that only counts with horseshoes hand grenades. nice shoothing though.

10. blooper

blooper TS Member

TRAPDAD....i have used that thinking while coaching SCTP kids, such as: if they broke the last 13 targets in one practice and the first 12 in the next, i make them aware that they are capable of putting all 25 on one score sheet....its really amazing how quickly shooters can then get their 25 straight patch...its a mind game

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Great Shooting Cory!! Congratulations.

Guy

12. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Your son is not far off from the 100 that's for sure.

13. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Long Run 107, no doubt about it.

LL

14. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

This is pointless. The information that you've given us is that your young son (didn't give age) has been shooting for two years. You also said that he just shot a 99 from the 20 or 19 (depending on age) in only his 5th handicap event. It’s obvious that no matter how you look at this your son will soon be shooting 100 in singles and moving back in yardage. I’m betting that in a year if you look back at this thread both you and your son will think it’s a trivial a point as I do. Because by then he probably won’t even remember how many hundreds he’s knocked down.

15. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

THat My Friend is excellent shooting by any standard , I will vote to give him 100 straight ! But would be voted down . You must run 100 in the race to be qualified 100 straight . But Congrats and Keep shooting . Very good !!!!!!!1

Pat Kelley

16. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

cdconley,

I hope you are correct, but at least right now I doubt it will ever be boring watching him shoot like that!

BTW he is 14

Tad

17. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

the offical rule is 100 straight in one event... period....

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

drhuner- You stated "the official rule is 100 straight in one event... period...." but I can't find such a rule. Can you tell me where it is located? I do know what Trap and Field recognizes, but that is not an ATA rule.

Pat Ireland

19. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Pat you are Right I Probaly seen it in Trap and Field, which is the official ATA mag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.