1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you believe this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I was recently in the Erie pa./ Ny lake belt were they grow acres and acres of Graps and apples. I asked who picks all those graps and apples. They get Jamicians and Mexicans on a work release program from there countries. They have to pay them $10.50 an hour and provide housing to them. You mean they can't find americans to work for $10.50 an hour? You got to be kidding.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It doesn't seem to be possible, they will just sit on their asses and collect 99 weeks of unemployment and after that find some other hand out

I remember when it was nice to look forward to a pay check, doesn't seem to be that way anymore

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Same thing is happening here in WA, they(farmers) bring in Jamaicans to pick the fruit crops.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

What you guys are saying is there is work the Mexicans won't do anymore.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Picking fruit is beneath Americans. Being parasites, not so much.

-Gary

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Not me, when I was a kid I made Adult wages picking whatever was in season, I liked piece work, not by the hour.

A strong back and good hand speed I was making up to $300 a day!

7. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

This area is my home stomping grounds. Grapes ( we had acres) have been machine harvested for decades. Apple time we get some itinerent pickers, but many are locals such as teenagers and other locals. Definately NOT paid 10.50 per hour. Farm wages are much lower. last year my nephews were paid by the bushel.
    Nobody imports jamaicans or mexicans and they do not provide living quarters.
    Been there done that lived the farm life.
    Mike T

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Apparently you guys do not own a business. You can't even get anybody to fill out a application for $10.50 an hour. Thats for about the last 3 to 5 years.

So Earl would you work for $10.50 an hour? That's what I thought! Dumb a$$ Question! :) Regards, Bill

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Farm hands fall under a special category and do not have to pay taxes so it's like making $15.00 an hour. Jackie B.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jackie, I call BS to that let's see the reg in black and white? And if it's so it needs to be fixed. Bill

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bill, you can call whatever you want as you usually do but that don't change a thing. I farmed until I got tired of it and my book keeper will have to give you the law but it still goes on. Tobacco workers and tomato pickers are still paid in cash with no taxes taken out. Some permanent farm workers are give a 1099 at end of year. Look into it and get educated. Jackie B.

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

You can pay anybody in cash and avoid taxes.

Farm workers paid in a normal way pay taxes and have taxes witheld.

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Well in the 50`s and 60`s here in NJ , a local farmer hired Puerto Ricans to help on his farm and he supplied a shack for them to sleep . Most came back every year for the 6-8 months of beet , tomatoes and most root and leaf crops where he took it to the Newark or NY markets . Don`t know what he paid but I hired on for .11-.18 a bushel for 1 day and my friend and I quit that same day . Did the same for an apple farmer but that lasted 3 days . Wasn`t for me at 15 or 16 yrs old

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Well since Obamanation extended unemployment to 99 weeks, those lazy assholes do not want to work. Why work when I can make just about as much sitting on my ass playing Call of Duty. It pisses me off that I bust my ass everyday and someone can sit on theirs and get a pretty good wage from unemployment, then they bitch when it runs out after almost 2 yrs and they have not made a single attempt to find work, they scream its "UNFAIR". The way I was raised, if $10.50 wasnt enough then I would get a 2nd job, not sit around waiting for another Govt handout. Spread my work ethic, not MY wealth

Oscar

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

During the Depression my wifes Grandmother owned a farm north of Pittsburgh and grew Potatoes and Chickens. White men from Pittsburgh would come to the farm and work only for a share of the potatoes they dug up, no pay at all. If they really busted their ass, she would give them a chicken And she said she had all the workers she could handle. Life was tuff, you worked or starved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.