1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you add chokes to a fixed barrel gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I'm sure someone does this, but what is required and any ideas on costs to do so?

2. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

I sent an older BT-99 to Briley once, three chokes and the install was around $300, no more than that.

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I myself like a fixed choke, but when putting together a gun for a young, small shooter, I usually find it necessary to shorten the barrel, to achieve balance. I send mine to Carlson's, link is above. Never had a problem and have always been pleased with their work.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Thin wall chokes by Briley. I had them installed in a 12 gauge barrel that was part of a 4 barrel skeet set. Works well. My wife uses the 12 gauge with chokes when she shoots sporting.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You didn't say what make of gun, or barrel you have. I agree with Rebel, buy a barrel with choke tubes. Some guns like 870's don't need fitted, some guns do. It's worth the money to buy a inter-changeable choke barrel and keep the original.

Wayne

6. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Berreta is the make of the gun

7. jfesi

jfesi Member

Google Mike Orlen gunsmith in Mass. He does great work at very fair prices and has the fastest turn time of any gunsmith that I have seen.

8. jfesi

jfesi Member

Google Mike Orlen gunsmith in Mass. He does great work at very fair prices and has the fastest turn time of any gunsmith that I have seen.

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have had choke tubes put in several guns with excellent results. Briley did all of them.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't forget Stu Wright. He can do it all and his chokes are one of the best money can buy.
    [​IMG]

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Don't forget a Poly-Choke if it is a single barrel. You can shoot all games and hunting with one choke. Regards, Ed

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

What REBEL said. Don't monkey up a good fixed choke barrel. For what it'd cost you to do chokes and shipping at ANY of the top barrel works shops you can buy a good used Beretta barrel with chokes.

Good luck.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had Briley put their thinwall system into a 30" Superposed. My G1 BROADway is great gun, but with IM/F, I was limited only to Trap.

With tubes in, I take it afield for pheasant, quail and dove. At the area ranges, I can shoot not only Trap, but Skeet and Sporting as well. I've taken a great gun that I enjoyed on occasion, to one I can use much more often.

In a double gun, Briley gives you the choice of five (5) constrictions. My G1 was not a collector grade... any damage to the value has been more than compensated for by the increased enjoyment I receive in return from its use.

I bet the next shooter (who inherits the gun) will agree!

respectfully offered,

Jay

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jay got it right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

thin wall chokes fixed barrel