1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can "wet" ammo be dried out and shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Can

Had a minor accident in the basement and the bottom case of shells in my 4 head high stacks got wet, standing in about 1/4" of water.

Can the shells be dried out or are they useless?

If useless can the components be salvaged (except powder)?

TIA

2. joshif

joshif TS Member

Can

1/4" of water won't even make it to the crimp if your shells are boxed normally and water won't reach the primer either. Shoot them and forget about it. We had a major flood in the late 70's and the big distributer was wiped out. They shoveled shells(RXP's) and mud into wheel barrows after the water went down. The cardboard boxes were junk. I knew guys that bought the famous "Flood Shells" and salvaged the shot and wad. One guy tried drying them in the hot sun after hosing the mud off and shot them.You could see water droplets in the cushion section of the wad if you held the shell up to the sun before the drying. There was a little mud in the crimp folds yet after drying. No problems. If you cut a dried "Flood Shell" apart you'd sometimes find some corroded shot,like reclaimed but the targets new no better.From the factory, the primer compound is mixed with water and then placed into the primer cup like putty then dried after assembly, the powder is mixed with water and formed and cut and then dried.What's the difference if your shells got soaked then dryed? None! If you had soaked paper shells that's another story. I lost a Fed Paper in a shoot off one night way back behind the line. I found it a couple of weeks later by accident. It was mush from being rained on but I cut the paper tube off and poured the internals in the grass and put the brass head in my chamber and pulled the trigger pointing in the air( a safe direction). Well the primer went off and sounded as strong as a normal "dry" primer,it didn't get water logged. So take my experiences for what they're worth and don't fret. Alliant powder,formerly Hercules had an ad in their loading manual about a jar of powder that was very old-90 yrs? and it was kept in water. They said they'd take a sample out and dry it and load shells and they would perform to spec. Can't argue with that or what I saw in the 70's now could you?

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Can

Had a minor accident in the basement and the bottom case of shells in my 4 head high stacks got wet, standing in about 1/4" of water.

Can the shells be dried out or are they useless?

If useless can the components be salvaged (except powder)?

TIA

4. joshif

joshif TS Member

Can

1/4" of water won't even make it to the crimp if your shells are boxed normally and water won't reach the primer either. Shoot them and forget about it. We had a major flood in the late 70's and the big distributer was wiped out. They shoveled shells(RXP's) and mud into wheel barrows after the water went down. The cardboard boxes were junk. I knew guys that bought the famous "Flood Shells" and salvaged the shot and wad. One guy tried drying them in the hot sun after hosing the mud off and shot them.You could see water droplets in the cushion section of the wad if you held the shell up to the sun before the drying. There was a little mud in the crimp folds yet after drying. No problems. If you cut a dried "Flood Shell" apart you'd sometimes find some corroded shot,like reclaimed but the targets new no better.From the factory, the primer compound is mixed with water and then placed into the primer cup like putty then dried after assembly, the powder is mixed with water and formed and cut and then dried.What's the difference if your shells got soaked then dryed? None! If you had soaked paper shells that's another story. I lost a Fed Paper in a shoot off one night way back behind the line. I found it a couple of weeks later by accident. It was mush from being rained on but I cut the paper tube off and poured the internals in the grass and put the brass head in my chamber and pulled the trigger pointing in the air( a safe direction). Well the primer went off and sounded as strong as a normal "dry" primer,it didn't get water logged. So take my experiences for what they're worth and don't fret. Alliant powder,formerly Hercules had an ad in their loading manual about a jar of powder that was very old-90 yrs? and it was kept in water. They said they'd take a sample out and dry it and load shells and they would perform to spec. Can't argue with that or what I saw in the 70's now could you?

5. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Can

I do it every duck season!

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Can

Thanks for the input folks. Before I posted the thread inviting input my own view agreed pretty much with Nyttro - the bottom row in each box is "suspect".

I will rebox the top 4 rows and the last row i'll throw in a bucket for practice rounds.

I'll let you know how they shoot. I am interested in the results myself.

7. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Can

27-M12, Thought about the PA. flood as soon as I saw this post. I had around 2500 of them myself. Put them out on a tarp in the driveway. Shot just fine.

We talking about the same flood? Distributer,Paul Hornick? He was one hell of a shot.

THAT was the buy of the year. lol

AJ100

8. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

Can

I just had 8 inches of water in my basement and the containers that I had reloads in filled with water. Also several cases of new were underwarter. The heads had rust on them and I wiped each one down to dry off. So far I have shot 6oo of them and only had one not fire. I won't reload the cases again, but I will shot the other 900 I have.

9. bwhited

bwhited TS Member

Can

Our range was under 9' of water for a week.
    Still how people that shot the ammo that was soaked.
    It is incredable how well it works.
    Would not shoot it in a match but for practice or playing around, go for it.
    Be aware of any light rounds and check the bore before the next one.

10. joshif

joshif TS Member

Can

AJ100, No this was a Texas Flood the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn sang about. The rain sounded like a cow pissing on a rock. Scoped rifles under 6 ft of mud and water. Y'all know who warranteed their scopes ? Leopold! Every other maker,even the Jap jobs said no way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can bullets get water loged

can wet ammo be dried

can wet ammo be salvaged

using wet ammo

will water soaked ammo fire properly

will wet ammo dry out

will wet ammo fire after 1 week in