1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

can we mine?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I am a board member of a local shooting and coon dog club. We have been shooting trap there reportedly since the 1940's, with never having any lead mining being done. This is mainly because the old management of the club "didn't want to get into it". Distrustful of DEQ, DNR etc. We probably have a change coming soon in club leadership and hopefully will be more progressive. What would we be looking at in usable shot,costs, profits etc? Our first problem is cutting trees that are at the edge of the range. This is where most of the shot would be located. Would we need to cut them all? Any insight would be appreciated. Bill

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would be best to have a professional lead shot miner come in and lay out exactly what has to be done. They will also tell you what percentage of the profits you will get to keep. HMB

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What I have found with people like your dealing with is to let them know the $ amount the club will get. It sounds like a pretty shinny penny for you all. Once they hear the amount of the check they will change their minds. Its worth doing. I heard a club got a check very near or over $100,000.00. That will get alot done for the club. Just get it done and you will not be sorry.

Do a search here on TS.com because there have been threads about this issue. There were some good info on them.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The miners will come to your club and take samples to determine if there is enough lead to justify hauling their equipment to do the job. The split runs from half and half to 60/40, they get the bigger part.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Get in touch with MIA. He can help you with things.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We just had it done at a club that was never mined since 1947. Where are you located, I may be able to get you a good guy with a real fair split. He is out of Mt

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

One local club here in MA just did it this year. The club got over $40,000 when it was done. There was over 300,000 lbs. of lead.

Bob Lawless

8. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

slayer. PM Sent

9. Mike

Mike Member

Bill, Is this the Black Lake Sportsmans Club you're talking about? My Dad used to be a member. It's been there a long time but I don't think much lead has been thrown (no ATA shoots, although recently some 5 stands). A guy at Wayne Co. Sportsmans Club (Pat W) mines in Michigan give him a call. He can give you a good idea if it's worth while or even possible. Respectfully, Mik

10. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

You got screwed

11. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

GIPSON-RICKETTS
    LYNN GIPSON 816-289-2150
    STEVE RICKETTS 816-863-9003
    THEY HAVE THE SYSTEM THAT MIGHT WORK BEST FOR YOU

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If yo have records of the shooting activities, you may not need to do all the sampling BS.

Since 1992 we have reclaimed the lead 3 times. Our lead is under water, and the folks used our shooting report records as a guideline to feasibility.

HM

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Garland Sears mined our club last year. Check with Sears Supply, El Reno, Oklahoma. Sorry, don't have a number handy, but I'm sure it is in T+F. Charlie

14. Steve R

Steve R Member

You have a PM

Beerking thanks for the compliments!

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

This is the Crump Fox Club in Bay County. No mining ever done since forever. Shooting there ongoing since the 50's/ League shooting for last 15 yrs. My estimate for Terry [lead miner] is 60,000 rds [shells] per yr for last 15 yrs.Somewhat less for many years before that. thanks all Bill

16. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Contact Steve Ricketts at Gipson-Ricketts.They did our club in Iowa a year or so ago.Recovered approx 450,000#s.Good job,easy to work with,negotiable split.
    Bob R.

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The problem for us might be that the shot is out in a heavily wooded area. Anyone know how far from the shooting stations that the mining is concentrated? thanks Bill

18. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

My local club (Leetown WV Gun Club and Izaak Walton League) had their three trap and two skeet fields mined a year ago. It was the first time ever for a club that has been in operation since the early 1950's. It was a turnkey operation, all the club had to do was close the ranges for a couple of weeks and allow the contractor access to the pond to pipe cleaning water. The club cleared about $45K which I believe was 25% of net. There were 96 drums of shot at about 2800 lbs. a drum.

The shot was only down to a depth of 6". The mined area was about 200-240 yards from the traphouses. The contractor lived onsite in a trailer during the mining. He and his girl friend did all the work. She mostly trucked diesel fuel to keep the equipment operating. They sold the lead locally to keep trucking costs down.

Pete G.

19. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

slayer, see about contacting the guy that does the MTA site in Mason. I believe he also did Munith and the Moose sportsmans club in Dexter which is a heavily wooded area also. I believe 165 yds is about right..

Jim Chapman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.