1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Wad Petals Open & Fold Back IN THE BBL?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Aug 1, 2013.

1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hmmm... look at this crazy Browning video. Is this "high speed video" real, or an animation? I was always skeptical when people said the shot never makes contact with the inside of the barrel, but it never occured to me that the wad petals fold back while still in the bbl. I suppose it's not all that surprising since it's moving at 1200 FPS. But the X-RAY video, or whatever it's supposed to be, does not look real because wad diameter looks so much smaller than the bore diameter.

-Gary

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You're not supposed to be paying that close attention to the marketing BS. :) Mark

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

LOL, you're probably right Mark.

-Gary

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

No way will the petals fold back .... unless it is EXCESSIVELY back bored. If I have a 20 GA short tube in a 12 ga longer barrel ... then MAYBE YES.

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

OK, then we don't know. Somebody knows. I kind of think they can fold back, but the pattern is not affected much, if at all.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

No Way Jose

GB
    DLS

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Every photograph I have seen of a wad and shot charge just exiting the barrel shows the wad petals not folded back.

8. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

that's not in the barrel

9. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I cannot answer that, but on the 4 patterns I shot last week with a DS choke (.014), using 7/8 oz. @ 35 yds. CB6100 and DRXXL Orange wads, the DRXXL did not open up hardly at all and the CB6100 bloomed like a spring flower. The orange wads produced superior patterns. 85-92% compared to the mid 70's for the CB6100, which also is not bad @ 35 yds. for a .014 choke.