1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoked, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoked

smoked TS Member

This is off of a TM1 Forestock. I looks like it was welded originally and wonder if it can be welded again (what type?) or should I replace it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yes it can be rebrazed (silver solder)

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm sure that Whiz has them in stock

Ed Yanchok

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

This is the part that breaks when you put a forend weight on a Perazzi SBT. Apogee Ordinance used to sell those weights and I think they stopped for just that reason. I was using a 6 ounce weight and it happened to me several times.

5. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Buy a new one and be done with it.If the weld broke once it will again.MHO

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would think regular solder might hold that -- or JB weld-- might want to try that before you spend any money

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think I have one will look and PM you if I can find, if I do will send it to you for shipping only.

Clean it up with alcahol swabs, and wipe the bore out also and try JB Weld it really works like GN777777 said

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Question: Why wasn't it originally made in one piece?

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Now there's a novel idea! My guess is they found it was cheaper (and easier) to have two parts machined and then brazed together than to have one long part with multiple diameters. Just looking at it, if the stresses permitted I would have done it the same way. But obviously they over-looked something... Josh

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The smaller diameter has the hex hole for the wrench. I'm guessing it was easier to hex the hole on just the smaaler piece than trying to do it deep inside a one piece design.

Besides that, the silver soldered joint should be just as strong as a one piece tube. The one pictured should be easily repaired.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jollytrapshooter- Look closely at the first picture and see the indentation for a hex wrench. This would be rather difficult to put into the smaller diameter piece with the larger piece in place.

Repairing the broken unit appears to me to be a simple braze job. I would prefer brazing over some sort of glue. Chucking the pieces into a drill press and some sandpaper will clean the parts very fast.

Pat Ireland

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

If it were mine I would just tig it and you should not have any more problems, I do jobs like that for $10 so it shouldnt cost much more than that where you are, clean it up and get the silver solder off before you take it to get it fixed..

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Just clean it use some flux and use high content silver (45-60%) solder.

The first time it was brazed they did a poor job of it because they didn't braze it properly, as you can see the silver solder is just around the shoulder of the small ID, if it was heated properly the capilary action would have drawn the silver down the small piece all the way to the end.

Just don't use too much solder and fill the hex socket with it

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

dickgtax said: "This is the part that breaks when you put a forend weight on a Perazzi SBT."

I think the high steel rib on a TMX adds weight and gives it a slightly different balance point than a TM1. I use the Meadow Industries stick on barrel weight on my MX3 to give it the same swing weight feel as the TMX.

15. TOOLMAKER 251

Perazzi, might start out with tubing for ease of manufacturing when making this part. There is a 4 mm through hole in the threaded part to accept the release rod.

16. Dr.Longshot

I called Giacamo and they retail for $73.01 w/discount they are $58.47+ shipping. I now have 2 left for $50.00 each.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Dr.Longshot

The original brazing/silver soldering job was not done properly as seen in the photo, temperature was not high enough for the silver solder to flow and make a good weld/cleaning and preperation may have not been properly done.

But I have 2 left at $50.00 each.

send PM if interested in them

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

Subject: Can this be fixed?
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Feb 08, 2010 - 01:09 AM ET
    Website Address:

I think I have one will look and PM you if I can find, if I do will send it to you for shipping only.

Clean it up with alcahol swabs, and wipe the bore out also and try JB Weld it really works like GN777777 said

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

Subject: Can this be fixed?
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Feb 08, 2010 - 12:43 PM ET
    Website Address:

The original brazing/silver soldering job was not done properly as seen in the photo, temperature was not high enough for the silver solder to flow and make a good weld/cleaning and preperation may have not been properly done.

But I have 2 left at $50.00 each.

send PM if interested in them

Gary Bryant Dr.longshot

Gary,

At 1 in the morning you would send it for the shipping, at 12 in the afternoon you want $50.00.

Is that with the shipping or plus the shipping????

I don't need one, I was just curious.

OB

19. TOOLMAKER 251

Maybe it's free, but the shipping & handling fee's are $50 Sometimes you get deals like this on GB or Ebay.

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Grind a shallow groove on the shaft then put togeather. Use silver solder and it wont come apart again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.