1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can these hulls be reloaded?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They can be reloaded but I doubt anyone would be willing to buy them from you. At most clubs you can get all the Wally, Top Gun and Estate hulls you want free just for the trouble of picking them up off the ground.

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Yep, Estate hulls crimp very nicely with Gold Medal load data and are good for one load and toss. Unfortunately it would be pretty hard times before I paid for an Estate hull when few loaders want them and STS hulls are four cent each if you care to buy them. Load them yourself, or make a reloader friend happy with a gift of free hulls. Keep them dry.. ;)

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

They can be reloaded, and I do often use them for poppers on doubles,however, I doubt if there is much of a market for them. There are tons of them littereing the ground. I don't see anybody paying for them as plentiful as they are.

4. SuperXThree

SuperXThree Member

They can be reloaded, but nobody is going to pay the cost to buy them when they are basically bottom of the barrel for reloading. I have never loaded them, but if I remember right it takes a little more to get equal results as a AA or Rem hull.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Estates come in two styles. plastic base in the Brass colored hulls and fiber or paper base in the Silver colored steel base.

I prefer the Plastic Base loaded @ Gold Medal Specs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I prefer the plastic base hulls but I have reloaded the Top Gun's as many as 4 times before trashing them. I broke a 195 at the state shoot with reloaded Top Gun's hulls. I reloaded 150rds Top Gun's this morning for this week's trap league's. One thing you do want to keep a eye on with the Top Gun's is that paper base make sure you look down your barrel after each shot. Other than that there is not a thing wrong with them.

rickinohio_2009_2704215.jpg

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Rick - what is your recipe and reloader ? Just curious. Your crimps look more consistent then mine !

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I like 20 gr Red Dot with a Claybuster Red Eight wad behind one ounce of hard shot. Any primer will work. I use the Rio exclusively.

Fast, destructive on targets, easy on the shoulder and budget.

For 16 yd Trap, powder could be dropped to 18 gr.

9. Heeringa

Heeringa Active Member

I'll reload with Federals from Wal-Mart and use them for doubles. I tried a round with them in my Model 12, but they didn't seem to want to chamber very easily. So I looked at them a little more closely and noticed that the shells weren't exactly circular around the crimp. Because of that I'll only use them with a break open gun. Reload them once then pitch them.

I use Cheddite primers, 15.5 grains of International Clays, Claybuster 7/8 oz wads with #8 magnum shot. It leaves the barrels a little dirty, but that's mostly a wad pressure issue that I don't really care to fix since this set up works perfect when I use Remington hulls.

Heeringa

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, a few years ago I loaded a bunch of 20 guage Federal Wallys a number of times for the local SCTP kids. I kept count of the number of times I loaded 'em and as I recall I was up around 6 or seven when I started losing some to longitudinal splits in the crimp area. Never had any problems with the wound paper basewads.