1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can shooting a double powder load hurt a gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Har3rdus, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Har3rdus

Har3rdus Member

After ten years of shooting trap, I shot a shell with a double charge of powder
    I probably shot 34 grains of red dot in my 12 gauge Winchester 101 diamond grade top single with imp mod choke and ported barrel. How do I know if I damaged my shotgun? Half way through a round of trap, I shot a double charged shell. After close inspection of the shotgun by myself and others, I finished the round without incident. Did I damage my shotgun and what do I look for in terms of damage.

True blue and Diamond hard,
    harry

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Find yourself a good gunsmith and have him check it out.Seeing as how it held together,you just dont know.Better safe than sorry,and after that much red dot you had some pressure in there. Ray

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I witnessed a Model 12 discharge a double load at a trap shoot.....the lady shooting the gun was knocked on her butt and gun was making "tink", "tink" sounds as it contracted.....the lady's husband who loaded the ammo got a good chewing out when she got to her feet....the gun was put away and she finished the event with a backup....

4. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I had it happen twice last year with my 1100. Dbl charge of red dot. PW 800b reloader. That made of my mind to get rid of the reloader. Was to easy to stop lever in the middle of the cycle then proceed the wrong way and screw up. I was new to the reloader and still getting use to it. I have not had any trouble with the gun since this happened, but it pushed me back a pad. I thought the reciever was gonn be broken in half. I guessing about 37 gr. of red dot due to my 18.5 gr. drop.Not good!!!!

5. k3uro

k3uro Member

I shoot Promo and I can not force a double load to make a shell.

Please try it on your loader using your components and just load it with twice the powder. I can not make a shell doing it.

Take care,

Jim

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

at what charges are the guns proofed at??

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

We tested double charges of Red Dot on H & R Topper, 870, and 1100 years ago as part of a week long experiment of how to blow up a shotgun.

In the double charge test, we tried to fire 10 shots of 35 grains of Red Dot in each gun. (It's hard to close the shell when we loaded them). Didn't do a thing to the Topper of all 10 shots, the 870 was hard to close after 4 or 5 shots. 1100 had it's bolt slammed back on the second shot, we managed to fire 5 shots in it, the bolt just won't move forward without kicking it.

It's just our test, doesn't mean you should do it, but we all agreed that it takes a LOT (combining different wrong things) to blow up a shotgun.

8. warren

warren Member

I have a Browning XT and have had at least two double charges, I changed loaders too, but it's was a couple of years ago and I've been shooting the gun all along and no damage. I sure did know it though.

warren

9. Berettawizz

Berettawizz TS Member

MY QUESTION WOULD BE WHY WOULD YOU NEED A DOUBLE CHARGE? WHAT IS THE REASONING FOR THE LOAD? WHAT ARE YOU SHOOTING AT? THIS IS THE TYPE OF THINGS THAT GIVES THE INDUSTRY HEAD ACHES AND THE LIABILITY LAWS ARE SO SCREWED UP. IF YOU CAN'T HIT A TARGET OR BIRD AND BREAK OR KILL IT WITH A STANDARD LOAD YOU MIGHT NEED A LITTLE MORE IN THE SKILLS DEPARTMENT NOT THE AMMO. JUST THINKING YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER SAFETY FIRST, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO IT SHOULD YOU.

10. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Mine were not done on purpose by any means. They were accidentally reloaded that way because of my human error while learning a new reloader. Hope the heck I never have it happen again. With the complete lever pull and release of my Mec 9000, I can't see how it ever will again.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Many years ago (1985) I double charged a shell with Bullseye doing test loads using a trickler. Didn't hurt the gun but sure gave me a headache for a minute. Had the gun checked by Remington and they said a 3200 is pretty strong but the 1100 might not have fared so well. The only way a PW can double charge powder is with a double charge of shot too, unless you haven't turned it on yet.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

320090t, If you ever get around southeastern Pa. stop by John Allen's shop and ask to see his 3200. Much uglier then any K gun blowup posted here so far.

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Wow, guess I was lucky.

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I managed to shoot a double charge out of a Perazzi unsingle barrel a couple of years ago. My load was 15.5 grains of Claydot pushing 1 oz of shot. It did a number on the target and got my attention.

I looked at the shell which didn't show any real signs of excessive pressure, like primer flow, so since that was my 98th shot out of a 100 I continues on and broke the 100 straight. Took a bit to regain my composure to be sure.

A later examination of my gun by Giacomo showed no damage and so the gun has soldiered on.

Of course that was a light load and a light payload so, of course, it's best to have the gun checked out. It's probably fine.

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I load green dot 21.3 grains and recently was shooting my 686 12 ga and somehow put barrel selector in the middle and fired off both barrels at once. That's 42.6 grains and it rocked me pretty hard, at any rate I don't want it to happen again. Didn't hurt my gun, just me. LOL I fail to see how a hull will close properly with that much powder in it. Jackie B.

16. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Sarge,

I would like to see that xray. Do you have a link?

Where and when did it happen?

Robert

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Does anybody here know how much pressure that shotguns are designed to take? Is there a standard on this?

18. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I have seen pumps and semi-autos have problems, but the OU guns generally tolerate the double loads well.(I don't recomend trying it though) AJ

19. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

In one of the posting you were advised to scrap the gun!!!----NOT. I think it is ok But, if you are concerned Go to a BIG machine Shop in your area and Have The Gun MAGNA-FLUXED (I think i have that right) anyway a Type of X-Ray. just saying!!! joe90t

20. notarget

notarget TS Member

k3uro makes a good point. With the proper components to make a good crimp it would be very difficult to fit two charges into a hull, especially with a bulky powder. If you should manage somehow to do it the gun should probably be checked by a competent gunsmith before use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i shot a double powder charge through my perazzi