1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can reloads be too hot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I myself dont care for hot loads and use 17.25grains of promo and ounce and 1/8 of 8s, which seems to be a nice load and handles them back to the 23yrd line where I shoot.

Now heres the kicker a shooting buddy who has shot since before I was born and is stuborn as a mule, loads an STS hull to the max load by the book not sure what the load is(he has said but cant remember). It is a 3dram load.
    He has sent his Ljutic to Briley to be choked and well he gets holes threw out the whole pattern no matter which tube we tried.

I have read that hot shells sometimes can do this but dont know because I dont go that hot(no need for it for 16s).

Anyone confirm this? He has 2000 shells loaded and wont try a lighter load.

Thanks Jerry Lewis

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is pretty well documented that the lower vel shells pattern better. A lot of things could be going on with your friend's set up but the short answer to your question, no the 'hot' loads aren't a good thing. Stick with what you are using.

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

Wow, how about making him wear an orange belt to warn his fellow shooters? The easy answer to this question is to wedge $20 out of his wallet and pattern some different factory loads first. I would donate some if it meant more safety. I once patterned about 125 rounds to check, and learn about loads, powder, wads etc. Guess what, thay have plenty of books done by the companies that make the stuff. If he doesn't use a scale it's a ticking problem waiting for a mistake.

It is well known that, in the past, guys used to load Hot shells to "blow" a pattern. ie. a tight model 12 at 16's. That dose not mean going out of the safe boundaries. Thank God for choke tubes.

How about a chronograph check on him? Ask at your club, someone must have one.

JT

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

YES, too fast can blow patterns.

Big Jack

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Check the primers after firing. If his primers are looking like they're 'flattening' out he show back it off a half grain. Too much pressure will blow the primer back into the breech. Not a good place to be. Jim

6. JES

JES Member

What kind of Re-coil system does he have on his gun? Not for the pattern sake but felt pain!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.