1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can rain affect shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I was bird hunting last weekend with a long time hunting partner. It was a lousy day, start raining when we uncased the guns and didn't stop. The dogs worked well but our shooting left a lot to be desired. I've hunted with this guy for thirty plus years and even if one of us missed a bird the other one wouldn't. Well we missed several on this outing on the drive home we pondered what went wrong. His thought: the rain was deflecting or distoring the shot patterns? I said can't we just admit that we both shot like we'd never fired a shotgun before? We both said no way we both missed three birds when we were backing each other up. So could the rain have deflected our shot patterns? We were both shooting 6's no 7 1/2 or 8's

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bruce, unless it's a driving rain storm that would severely affect your ability to not see, no, it won't bother the charge enough to miss. Rain bothers the shooter much more than the equipment, especially 6s and larger. The same with a clay target, the lead looks different on very cloudy or rainy day. On such days, it seems to take a tad more "seen" lead to connect. I'd guess that's what got both of you guys in the rain?

Hap

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Gee Hap, I assumed he was just fishing and was not impressed with his cast. LOL, shoot well and often while we can, Bob

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

IT (rain) affects the shooter not the gun.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, you think maybe he was trollin fur minners?? I spit it out after I hit the lure, tastin so to speak? :) Hap

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Hap, Can I have the lure back? Just kidding neither of us really believe that the rain could distort the pattern that badly byt thought I'd ask

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I really have to be careful out in the rain because I might melt!! :)

tony

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Rain packs down the feathers and your shot was bouncing off.

Use #4's in the rain. Just be thankful you did not cripple any of the little birdies.

Don Verna

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thank goodness you missed. Stop the killing. Birds have families too. HMB

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Only Senior Smoke could answer this question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.