1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can my Pine Tree's be Saved??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We got alot of ice yesterday/last night. Most of my Pine Tree's are like the one in my backyard i posted pic of. More high winds to continue today. My question, can they be saved after the fact?? Anybody know ?--Matt

grntitan_2009_2503176.jpg

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

that happens alot here in ky, if you cut the damaged limbs off outside of the knuckle at the trunk, the trees will live. of course they will have bare spots for a few years but eventually new branches will grow in. at least, that is what usually happens.

paul

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

That type of limb loss is typical of white pines. The snow accumulates and absorbs rain or melt water and the weight snaps off the limb. The best thing that can happen is that the snow is light and fluffy and the wind blows the accumulated snow off the limbs. The worst case is a heavy, wet snow like what you have. I would trim the broken limbs off in the spring.

4. grntitan

Thanks guys. That isn't a bunch of snow though. It's a very thick layer of ice with a light layer of snow on top. Temps are around 15*F and very windy. I'm hoping the sun will peak out and melt some ice before the wind has its way. So far none of the tree trunks have cracked. Knock on wood(no pun intended). LOL

Matt

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Here in the Ozarks we get those freezing rain/ice storms pretty frequently. I have even had the trunk split and the top broken out of a White Pine and the tree still survived. As you have heard, just trim away the broken part this Summer. Jack Farrow

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Trim them up in the spring and put a little sealant on the cuts to keep the bugs out. I used a tar compound. Mine kept coming back after looking twice that bad. I had some almost flat on the ground and they came back the next summer with a little tlc. Must be a reason I moved out of upstate NY. Spent a lot of time dealing with ice. I won't even talk about snow.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

As others have stated, pines are resilient.

Let me share a funny related story: My Mom once called me to come inspect her damaged 30-foot pine. During a nasty windstorm several branches had been broken off and most of the root ball was pulled out of the ground. The tree trunk was only 10 degrees above horizontal. My Mom was upset, so I tried to save her tree by using a come-along to winch it back to vertical. I then used heavy rope as guy-wires and attached them to stakes made of 1" dia solid steel rod. The rods were fairly short so they only stuck up far enough to attach the heavy rope. The tree recovered nicely and a year or so later my brother removed the ropes. Shortly thereafter I went over to cut Mom's grass. I learned, via the new lawnmower, that my brother hadn't done anything with the 1" diameter steel stakes. Have you ever heard a Briggs & Stratton engine go from 3000 RPM to 0 RPM in 1/100th of a second? The entire mower jumped sideways about a foot when the blade hit the stake and I nearly crapped my pants. Worse yet, when I looked down I was saddened to see that the engine case had snapped off its cast lugs and was no longer attached to the deck. Gee thanks, bro!

Mind you, this was the same brother who once had a loaded 12ga go off behind the seat of his pick-up truck while he was driving it.

-Gary

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Gary, I've got tears, too funny. Second thought, only funny for us--not you.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah Bob, it took a few years for it to get funny for me :)

I've pulled even dumber stunts, but I rarely repeat my doozies.

-Gary

10. grntitan

That was good.....

Matt

11. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I don't mean to get away from the tree question but the lawnmower thing brought back memories form when I was a kid.

My dad got a reel type push mower from someone and it was equipped with a 1/4 horse electric motor. He told me to cut my aunts lawn. She had a big dog, I mean BIG dog that left some huge calling cards in the long grass. To make a long story short you have not lived until you hit one of those with the blades spinning at 1725 rpm's and you standing 4 ft. behind pushing. My aunt and dad did not stop laughing for a week. That stuff tastes really bad.

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Bernie, can you do a live reenactment for us? ROFLMAO. Bill Malcolm

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bernie:

When people say something tastes like sh**, I always wondered how they knew. Thanks for explaining it! LOL.

-Gary

14. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

trim them up. they are very tuff. Birdtracker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a pine tree be saved

can a white pine tree be saved if branches have been cut off